Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know of any humidity stats that are relatively cheap? or are using one at the minute?

I guess there must be loads out there used in hydroponics, just can't find any?? Thinking of putting my rep room on a humidity stat mainly for my cham' but its going to help the snakes as well. His last two sheds have not been great and its difficult keeping humidity up all day. If I humidify the whole room to 60%+ hopefully it'll help!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
how would it work? what linked to a humidifier? think you may get problems with damp if you did that...i have about 12 vivs in my lounge and they make the windows steam up and mold grow round the sill, one of the downsides of having high humidity all the time!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah basically linked to a humidifier..... At the moment I just put it on 45 bursts throughout the day on a basic timer... I know what you mean about the windows steaming up though! :D

Still for cham's you need high humidity.. Ok so my vield is not going to die if I don't do it but I was also thinking in the future of perhaps adding a jacksonii or panther which would need constant high humidity.

I do enough cleaning around the viv's as it is, a quick rub of the window sills ain't gonna make to much difference :lol:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
it will when they drip and a lake gathers like mine!!! :)
i have panthers and yemens and did have some jacksons plus a few others that need it pretty humid! (dwarf mountain/short nose)

rather than do the whole room i do each viv seperately,

for yemens that require 60/70%: i spray x2 daily with warm water (comes out tepid when sprayed.)
for panthers that require 80%: i spray x2 again but in conjunction with live plants the humidity stays up pretty high.
for jacksons it's kinda backward: they need 80% in the morning and only 50% during the day and 80% at night they did get sprayed in the morning and then about 1/2 hour before lights out. plus the live plants help to hold the water.

i think using substrate makes a huge difference...for example:

jackons use potting peat and moss mixed...whacks humidity right up there.
panthers use orchid bark and if humidity is not staying up put a pile of sphagnum moss in one corner.
i am a great believer in substrate as it makes a setup look much more natural and with chams you often need this..unless your breeding but that is a whole different kettle of fish.

glad to see your thinking of branching out, panthers are great and there are some others out there that are magnificent! mellers/parsons/dwarf mountain/weidersheimi/ to name but a few of favs....

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i really like the look of the panthers... oh i don't know! I'm trying to gather info on as many species I really like cause I only have one re room to fill! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts