Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im struggling to keep the humidity up in my iggy enclosure :(

ive a large bowl of water in the bottom and i`m misting 4 or more times a day.

it seems to hover around the 50 % mark and after misting rises to around 70% but not for that long.

is there an easy way of keeping humidity up higher than it is ?

would a large exoterra waterfall do the job ( mot worried about clogging up with crickets etc ,seeing as it in iggy encolsure :) ) or is there a easier way ?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
have you though about running a humidifier into the viv?? Some people have set up little tubes that you put a humidifier under and it directs the air then straight into the viv?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply welshgaz
i was only looking into that the other day in preperation for mysty`s new viv once it`s built , it`s gonna be 7ft high 6ft wide and 3ft deep and will need a decent humidity control.

while im using current viv 3ft7 high 2ft 8 deep and 2ftwide i wanted a smaller (if possible ) option and just been looking at one of these .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250065107379&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

would this raise the humidity enough? and if i put it in the bowl of water at bottom of viv would it harm iggy if it went in the water ( which ive never seen the bloody thing anywhere near it`s water :roll: )

also if this isnt a viable option , how much of a raise in humidity would i get from a waterfall?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
what substrate are you useing for my tegu i use cypress mulch which holds moisture well enougth to keep my humidity up between 60-70 and doesnt grow mold

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
martin day said:
what substrate are you useing for my tegu i use cypress mulch which holds moisture well enougth to keep my humidity up between 60-70 and doesnt grow mold

i`m using paper at the minute as iggy is only 8 months old and has the habit of crapping anywhere and everywhere.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I don't think a mist maker would make much difference to be honest. I don't know how much ventilation you have in there but f your humidity is dropping that much you could try coving some of it up?

Its always difficult to keep humidity high in large viv's and even more so during the winter! The heat from radiators etc always dries the air.

Could you use the humidifier to raise the whole rooms humidity? You can always just use that then its its final viv?

Another good tip is to use real plants in the viv as well. I got a large ficus and devils ivy in the chams viv and they jeep the humidity over 50%. With spraying then bring it up nicely. This is in a flexarium as well which has massive ventilation!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
you could also try putting a heatmat under the water bowl but obviously be careful with electrics. i have my heatmat under the actual viv where the waterbowl is for my water dragon and i have devils ivy in there which keeps humidity right up. i also spray a hole bottle in their once a day.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
basky said:
you could also try putting a heatmat under the water bowl but obviously be careful with electrics. i have my heatmat under the actual viv where the waterbowl is for my water dragon and i have devils ivy in there which keeps humidity right up. i also spray a hole bottle in their once a day.
Not a bad idea. If you do this watch you iggy can't burn on the mat also and try having a large flat tray for the water. The bigger the surface area the more evaporation and humidity you'll get!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah i usually use cat litter trays for water, not very esthetically pleasing but do the job. other than that you can use either glass or perspex and make one yourself, they look alot better.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
:D great minds think alike hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts