Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the humidity for californian king snakes??
I've been reading some sites that all say the diffrent thing and I'm getting frustrated, I've got two baby CKS and I had to put in humidboxes for them after I kept it too dry after false information. Can anybody just give me the exact % ?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not sure about the exact % but you shouldn't need to worry too much about it. Humidity in the UK is usually about 55% and that's fine for them - they don't need it any higher. They come from dry areas so the humidity should be kept low - small to medium water bowl (at the cool end) and substrate such as hemp, aspen, beech chip or newspaper would be best - but not orchid bark (the brown stuff) which often holds too much moisture.

Although they are a desert species, avoid using corn cob substrate (sometimes sold as "desert substrate"). It lowers the humidity too much - just sucks all the moisture out of the air - and can lead to shedding problems.

You can use a humid hide for them when shedding, but I never found I had to for mine. They were kept on beech chip with a medium size water bowl and shed fine every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts