Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my snake is finally arriving next week and the viv is all set up and ready: the temps are all good, the decor is in and the heat guard has arrived.

One problem...humidity is on the low side (between 30 and 40%). When I first set it up it stayed in the healthy mid 50's but now its decreased and has stablised at this lower humidity. I even put the water bowl directly under the ceramic heater and it won't go up (I'm told I should move the water bowl away though as snakes don't like warm water).

What are my options for raising humidity? Will any old type of spray bottle do?

Btw. the vivarium is wooden with glass sliding doors and only has four small circular ventilation grates.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What's going in it?
Generally any spray bottle will do. There needs to be a slight drying out period. Spray in the morning and the glass should mist up soon after, this means there is humidity.
By the evening the mist should go, this is the drying period. repeat every morning.
Because a viv is wet inside it doesn't make it humid, if there is too much ventilation there will be lots of water but no humidity. The secret is getting the balance right.

Moss also is good to increase humidity.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
quick spray each day does wonders!!! But put the water bowl next to a vent and as close as possible to the heat... The air flow over the water means it evaporates quicker and thus the humidity rises!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts