Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Stephanie Davies. I am currently undertaking BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Hartpury College (UWE). For my dissertation, I'm looking at the public perception of the husbandry of reptiles, and I need the participation of both reptile owners, and non - reptile owners. I would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to complete it for me. It would be a great help. Many thanks :).
Here's the link to the questionnaire:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HZ36KB8

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
some questions didn't make allot of sense, for eg Humidity should be 50% - for some animals yes, but for many that would be detrimental to them as they require lower or higher humidity...so i answered neither disagree or agree...

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
Tried to complete it, but a lot of it doesn't make sense or have an appropriate option available

·
Registered
25,686 Posts
I tried to complete but I wasn't comfortable submitting it as I think you'll get skewed answers. Your questionairre is simply too specific which means in some cases there is no correct answer - all the answers are incorrect!

Most of the answers the actual correct answer is "It depends on the species." Some reptiles do not need a heat source. Some reptiles need higher than 40c. Humidity should be 50% is designed to always be wrong since this varies so greatly depending on the reptile. Water changing weekly depends on species. Some species don't even need water in their tank.

I would think for a dissertation you would want a questionairre that at least provides the correct options otherwise how can you conclude anything meaningful from the answers? If you use this to conclude "reptile keepers did not really understand about the dangers of high temperatures" your conclusion is incorrect if the species the reptile keeper has experience with are Uromastyx from the Sahara Desert whilst correct if the species the reptile keeper has experience with is a crested gecko. There is no way anyone with no experience of reptiles could be correct in those specific examples since there is no correct answer anyway. Whatever they write is going to be wrong and thus the conclusion that the general public does not understand the specifics of reptile habitat is a bias one based on your options.

·
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.
1,376 Posts
Done and submitted, but quite a few neither agree or disagree, my micro geckos need a 40+ degree basking spot and low humidity, my jacksons chameleons have regular misting but no waterbowl...

I also had to google ectothermic, an easier way to word that question would be "reptiles gain heat for their environment" or similar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts