Votes: 3 18.8%
  • borderline

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fish keeping society is undergoing a ban on the importing of the hybrid, redtailed catfisk x tigershovel nose.

what is everyone opinion of this? mine is a yes however i do own 2 of these fishes, and are both in a suitable aquarium for there potential size, i dont agree they should be imported because they are being sold too persons who cant keep them at there potential size.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What size tank have you got? What tank mates have they got? also how big do the hybrids get sorry about the lots of questions but I am very inquisitive.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
i own three redtail catfish and two crosses one came to me as the person had put them in with guppies!!! i dont think there should be brough t into the country as not many people have adequate housing to hous a 3-4 foot catfish (normal size in captivty ) luckily for us we do :)

so my answer is no there shouldnt be brought into the country :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
i own three redtail catfish and two crosses one came to me as the person had put them in with guppies!!! i dont think there should be brough t into the country as not many people have adequate housing to hous a 3-4 foot catfish (normal size in captivty ) luckily for us we do :)

so my answer is no there shouldnt be brought into the country :)
i actully feel these should be a total ban on these fish

but bosshogg you got to get me a pic of this tank mate :grin1: how big is it?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
As said earlier I don't think any fish should be kept in a tank that has a smaller length than 4 x the length of the fish and a width of 2 x as wide.

And seeing as one of these catfish can easily reach ft and they are territorial then that means one VERY huge tank.

I think there are very, very few people capable of housing them...just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my 2 are bout 4 inches at mo, so in my 4 foot, till we move in bout 2 weeks, then i'm getting the disp tank from a shop in my town until they need a igger one, its bout 5 foot in length, by 3 foot
then i'm goin for the custom built style tank, but thats not till needed

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
a colleague of mine has 2 heated ponds, one has a red tail around 40 inch, that pond is 18x12x7foot. Then his big pond is 36x14 foot and 8 foot at its deepest. He has 2 4ft plus redtails in it.

The little (and im using the word litle, very loosely) is hand tame. Its brilliant, you have to distract the peacock bass in the tank, and then the cat comes up and opens his mouth waiting for food. He lets you stroke his back when in a good mood.

this isnt meant to encourage any one to buy one though, just a little annecdote.

Im currently working on the little 16 inch red tail we got in at work. He will feed from your fingers but won't come up to the surface to do it.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
thats what we are thinking of doing as we already heat our 5m x 4m x 4ft pond and we do have tropical fish in it !!!!

Intranveous you might think no one can house these beautys but believe me people do!! just the same as there house giant retics and ancondas!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Intranveous you might think no one can house these beautys but believe me people do!! just the same as there house giant retics and ancondas!!
No, thats not what I was getting at at all. I think they are beautiful fish and they are at the top of the list if I ever win the lottery :razz:. I don't think there is anything wrong with people who have the space and money having them, and I know there are plenty of people out there with these resources.

I probably just came across as accusatory because its hard to see who's at the other end of a computer...without any background I don't know if you are one of the above people or if you're one of the ones who think its ok to keep one of these beautiful giants in an 8ft tank for the rest of its life because "it won't grow that big" and "it doesn't move around much".

Your plans sound ace though, good luck :smile:. Just hope no birds come and land on your pond!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
the 8ft x 4ft is only to house it when its smaller 2-3ft once its over that size it will be moved into a biiger pond when that hopefully be moved and the pond will be inside dont worry we have it all planned. at the moment our biggest is only 1-2foot havnt measured it reecently and the pure red tails are only 2-6 inches

Clare

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
i will do there stunning fish with personalties the cross tells me when he's hungry and hand feeds for people prepared to spend the time and money there great spiecmen fish :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Back on topic though...rather than a full out ban, liscencing could be put in place. If a liscence system was used then people could only legally get hold of the fish if they had appropriate housing for it which would stop these fish finding their way into unprepared homes without penalising those with the resources to keep them.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dis agree, the whole licencing ideas are rediculous, it would mean everything but rabbits, dogs and cats would need a licence...and how do you check if every house in the country has 1? the vets that check for the dwa in my area are usless accoring to people i have known...1 guy told the vet (before he owned the cobra) that it was in the tank...the vet didn know it was a corn snake...lol i think if it is enforced then the councils must sort themselfs out cos they suck ass:bash:...sorry if i offended any1 here

1 - 20 of 36 Posts