Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’m just wondering what people think of Hybrids and if they think its right to say... breed kings to corns? or rats to corns.

Like, I see people are always after new morphs, so why not breed in to more kings and rats? You could get more greens and things no?
Green rat snakes?

Like the mandarin rat snake... it’s pretty nice Oranges or yellows? And those triangles!

Or like the bamboo rat snake.

Where is the corn snake with triangle patterns on it? lol and look at that head!

Is it cuz there expensive or cuz people don’t agree with that?

I would love to hear your comments! Thanks.

Here is a few a pics if people dont know what theses snakes are.

Mandarin Rat snake:

The head:

Bamboo Rat snake:

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Rat snakes already come in a rather stunning green. :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
wohic said:
Rat snakes already come in a rather stunning green. :)
and Corn Snakes are Rat Snakes :lol:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Flake1 said:
Hey I’m just wondering what people think of Hybrids and if they think its right to say... breed kings to corns? or rats to corns.
One excellent question if you want a scrap!!

This question allways stirs up strong, uncontrolled feelings. There is no definitive answer, you like em then make em, people will always buy em. If you don't then stay away from them and be happy.

Point worth noting though, more people own hybrids than actually realise it, with many of these being in the "i hate hybrids" fan club - makes me chuckle :twisted:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
thats true dan very true. I wouldnt spend hundreds of pounds on a bamboo or mandarin rat to start breeding it with other things though i think i would want to keep them pure i think. But generally i dont mind hybrids cant really see a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hybrids

Hi ya

You will definatly see Hybrid Mandarin rat snakes and Hybrid Bamboo rat snakes in the next year or two.
(Keep an eye on my web)

As far as good or bad, well thats down to the individual taste in reptiles.

but i would say that any Venomous x non Venomous attempt would be very bad.and im sure their are a few nutters trying to do those types of crosses as we speak.

Paul.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I haven't got a problem with hybrids.. They can produce some nice colours doing it and breeding certain kings to others counts.. so I haven't got a problem with it...

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
The ones in the picture look really stunning I must admit :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
how do you know for a fact that all snakes are not hybrids i mean
nature made all snakes!!!
there is no pure anything....just what WE call pure ;)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I've got pure hog island boas :roll:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
What he is saying is they're pure in our eyes.. but how hybridised have they become down the line??? From when they started.. so technically they are all hybrids from past decendants..

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
yes mate :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I know where they come from they are pure. They are bred in a zoo from unrelated parents directly from the island, so I've been told :D

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
yeah course they were :lol: :lol: Did you know that Hogg Island boas are considered by many to be extinct in the wild?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I know, but apparently there is a zoo down south that breed hogs for quite a few years.

What I've learned recently is that there are still hogs in wild but in isolated pockets.

Anyway, I do believe (as well as you believe in yours), that mine are very pure. They tick all the boxes, can't see anything wrong with them specially having seen so many hog crosses before.

I took them to a couple of shops nearby (one in Iver and the other one in Hare Hatch). The owners breed / use to breed boas in the past, and when I told I had pure hogs they were suspicious, when they saw them they were very impressed, trying to chat me up to sell the babies to them should I ever breed from my pair.

S

·
0 Posts
hahaha as i said before theres no pure anything not even humans ..its just another label we humans have stuck on them if you get me ...its nice to have a set of boas that we have labelled 100% hog islands though :lol:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts