Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, i got some..

How much of an issue are they, are they a must to get rid of?

·
Registered
33,034 Posts
Damn, i got some..

How much of an issue are they, are they a must to get rid of?
you got any really tiny fish, or fry? if so the hydra will sting & eat them- if not, they're not a real problem. 3-spot gouramies are meant to eat them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smallest fish in tank are neons, possibility of the cockatoos breeding. Hmmm, not sure that adding a gourami would sit well with the other fish.

Im assuming some sort of med treatment is gonna be called for?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Smallest fish in tank are neons, possibility of the cockatoos breeding. Hmmm, not sure that adding a gourami would sit well with the other fish.

Im assuming some sort of med treatment is gonna be called for?
I've got them in my Axolotl tank, they latch on to them and you can see them spinning to get them off :( Lucky it seems to have stopped recently, must have been a population spike. It was my understanding once you had them, you can't get ri of them easily at all, though I'd be interested if there was a way. Only problem with this is the fact Axolotls are an amphibian and you are really limited with what you can use in the tank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed one singular one on a flowerpot on saturday, i did see one of my neons have a go at biting it but it retracted and the neon swam off. May have been purely out of curiosity that the neon bit it.

I had read they dont like high temperatures so I removed the flowerpot and ran hot water over it, sure enough the Hydra detached and went down the plug hole.

Then on Tuesday i noticed alot more of them all over one of my plants in the tank. However when i checked yesterday i could only see one, hopefully they havent moved and something in my tank is seeing them as a food source but, i doubt im that lucky.

I try to keep away from adding medications to the tank wherever possible and the only other remedy ive heared about is to remove the fish and gradualy raise the tank temp, however this is not really an option, plus the heat will only end up killing all the plants in the tank and (assuming they have come in on plants) its more than likely more will end up appearing if i added new plants after killing the last lot :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts