Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

They've been in 3 weeks and I hadnt seen a snake mite in site. Today I gave him a bath and he was covered. Absolutely covered in large gorged black mites.

I followed all the instructions. Kept the substrate moist (i left in the orchid bark as I heard they do better in it). Still the mites are all over him. It may have been something I have done wrong. And I'm sure that defender mites for many people are the most effective way. But...

I need to nip this in the bud right now.

Plan:
  • Orchid bark, hides and everything else out the viv (chuck it all away).
  • Clean it out with the reptile safe disinfectant I have.
  • Replace with newspaper, tuperware water bowl and plastic or similar artifical material hide.
  • Bath him, dry thoroughly and coat him with oil to kill the mites on him.
At this point I have two options.
1) Place some microwaved substrate in the viv with more hypoaspis (a small spot for them to hide and survive in) .
2) Use frontline or Ivomec (don't know anything about these. Do you make a solution with water and bath the snake in it?).

All answers very much appreciated. I need to clear this ASAP.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It took 4 weeks for me to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Clean viv as you said then spray a little Frontline on a cloth and wipe the snake over with it. Keep water bowl out for 24 hours and after a couple of days you will have no more mites.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean viv as you said then spray a little Frontline on a cloth and wipe the snake over with it. Keep water bowl out for 24 hours and after a couple of days you will have no more mites.

I'm favouring the frontline as an immediate solution.

sorry to clarify- keep his water bowl out the viv for 24 hours so he cant soak.
and use neat front line?
Seems to be two types frontline for dogs and frontline for cats?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Depends on the size of the snake i always have used neat Frontline but some people use diluted. I bought some from a show in Holland so I am not sure what type people buy here. Take water bowl out so the snake doesnt soak then drink the water as Frontline is bad if ingested. You can also wipe around the viv with it as long as you allow it to dry before putting the snake back in. Its a quick easy way to get rid of mites but I woouldnt be comfortable using it on hatchling or delicate snakes but I have used it on hundreds of adult snakes with no problems ever.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sound mate thanks. Also been browsing previous threads with the search button.

A few frontline treatments it will be.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Had the same problem they never worked for us. ended up using mite off that worked:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
prescription only from the vets but im sure ive seen the same stuff on a link just not carrying the frontline name but i only had it once with a boa we took in but went straight to vets with the boa and got the frontline and problem solved but be very careful with the stuff remember its meant for dogs

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hypoaspis mites worked a treat for me . It does state that if you have a severe infestation , then you may need to use them twice. I had a single container clean my pair of adult jamacian boas like a treat . I offered half the cage with moist compost from the garden centre and sprayed it everyday . I also took out the water bowl as the male spent a lot of his time in it and hence the hypoaspis couldnt do their job.Replacing it with a much smaller 1 that he couldnt fit into . These chaps lived for over 6 weeks in the viv and in the end , the snakes actually seemed to spend all their time in the moist compost . Even burrowing themselves into it at times . Needless to say , no more mites at all . Sory to hear yours didnt work but if i had the same problem, i would prob go for mite away as their isnt any confusion about dog or cat or diluted or not .

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Frontline will be just fine mat provided you read as much as you can on the mite treatment thread etc so you can make your OWN mind up entirely.. yes it has been known to kill snakes if used incorrectly. Just make sure you follow the guidelines and you'll b fine using it.

What snake/s are you treating by the way?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I'm not sure but a vet will prescribe it for reptile mites.
can of worms much! - lol it depends what your local vet is like! Mine had neverheard of it being used on snakes..and thus probably wouldnt perscribe it.. you can however jsut buy it at the vets.. just say your cats got fleas or something.. some places you dont even need a reason

·
Premium Member
16,513 Posts
frontline is no longer prescription only - you can buy it in some chemists - lloyds sell it over the counter - but it is much cheaper on the net - just google frontline and you will see loads for sale at about half the shop prices.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Provent-a-mite!!! .... Kill the problem in one application .... I had mites .... once

1 - 20 of 30 Posts