Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I was reading the mites thread and noticed that these need substrate to live in. So does that mean they can't live on newspaper/kitchen towel.

Just curious...

·
Registered
48 Posts
hypoaspis

I was told when my snake had mites that newspaper and loo roll holders were good to use as the mites could not live on them and you can just throw them away when all signs of mites have gone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you fighting mites at present mate? My snake caught them from the substrate from the shop.
I tried hypoaspis first. they need substrate and humidity. I kept conditions right but (maybe it was me) they didnt work.
I just used frontline last week and all mites are gone- overnight.

Personally it was hard waiting the 3 weeks it takes for the hypos to kick in and watch my snake suffer in his infested substrate. his temperatment is still worse now.

my approach in the future wil be to frontline it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, I used frontline for kittens and then used newspaper for bedding for 10 days havn't seen any signs of mites since.:2thumb:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I put a small tub of eco soil stuff in my viv and then put the hypoaspis mites in that, I needed to buy two lots in the end to get rid of the mites in my case.
I put them in left for three weeks then bleached the viv again before adding more in which I left for two weeks then no more mites:2thumb:
Frontline is a much quicker alternative though but I definitely wanted to the hypoaspis mites and in the end they worked fine

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I am currently on my second batch of hypoaspsis too. They have some substrate in there (which I baked in the oven to kill any nasties) which I spray twice a day. My viv is 4x2 and I think that may be why just one batch isn't enough. I am keeping my fingers crossed they may have gone. If I have no luck this time I'll be sending for some Provent a mite which I have had success with in the past - just I want to get away from using chemicals this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts