Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
just got a tortoise .. and needs some advice ..

Should it be housed inside or outside? there seems to be conflicting advice on the internet, I have a good sized garden so should we build an enclosure out there .. but i am not sure what kind of housing it requires and also if its due to hibernate soon is it worth doing this?

i have been feeding it things like Kale, Mango, Sweet potato and cucumber (as adviced).. is this right?

the tortoise seems to sleep alot - is this normal or is this a sign that she is preparing to hibernate?

sorry with all the questions but I just want to make sure that she gets the best care I can give her :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
A: what species is it?
B: how old is it?

I would advise not to feed mango,cubcumber or sweet potato.
Feed it weeds there is a good list on the shelled warriors website.

One thing its good that you are making an effort to learn about youre new pet :D
But really you should have done youre homework before you bought it ( not being nasty just saying if you know what i mean)

Lloyd

·
Registered
85 Posts
exactly what shell shocked said the type is important. It's good for an outdoor enclosure to be built but also an indoor one especially for our colder seasons and if they are very young to make sure they are warm and get uv from the lighting fittings you can get for them :) lots of other reasons but they're all clearly pointed out online :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
we cant really advise till we know the species, should definatly be outdoor in a secure area.where did you get it from?what are u keeping it in now?

·
Registered
105 Posts
well it depends what species it is but all tortoises enjoy in warm weather, an outdoor enclousre as well as a indoor one. all of the bigger and more exotis ones dont hibernate. im not sure on the food. i fed mine the pellets which he loved.lettuce,kale,dandilions and tomato.
if your having trouble in knowing which species it is i can help.
if its got a piece of horny skin on the back of its thighs, its a spur thighed tortoise,(hibernates)
if its colouration is a nice dark yellow-green and black, its hermans(hibernates)
if it has only 4 claws its a horsefield(hibernates)
if it is yellow and black, like a leopard, ita a leopard tortoise.(no hibernation)

there the most popular species in the UK
Good luck. Joe

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
We really need pics to ID this tortoise Joe as colouration, toe numbers etc can vary within a species. I have hermanni torts tha are almost all olive coloured and some which have very striking black markings. also some of them have five toes, some have four, some have a divided supracaudal and othrs don't so we need to see a pic in order to see for sure and advise on correct diet.
Weeds as the basic is fine, but some species like a little fruit, others need predominantly grasses and yet others need a little protein in the form of meat etc
Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts