Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st bite happened last night. Proberly my fault for I was putting her back in her viv, and she was coming out the glass, so just to stop her falling on the floor I put my Hand under her and she went for me and got me. I'm kind of glad I've got it out of the way because it was going to happen, haha. Not as bad as you think it is. Caught me on the palm of my hand so it did feel like a pin prick but hey, all part of it. Bitof blood doesn't bother me. I was only worried about her In case she lost some teeth but I think she's ok.

Also..... I'm hoping with her biting me she might think.... Oh, biting him doesn't bother him, so I'll just stop nude I can't be arsed. Haha. I don't mind taking a few more bites if I have to. I love her very much and she is a beautiful snake. I do wish she was like a baby corn and just run through you fingers and don't really care to much about anything but hey, I like a challenge and I'm sure when Iv got her tamed down I'll feel good about myself for sticking with her and raising her up and not giving up over some spilt blood.

I compleatly understand how it is a bit scarey when there lunging at you and stuff, but I think it's just part of the hobby we all need to just live with. It does put people off and that's fine, but someone who has one and it starts biting and stuff they just give up with them, it's a shame because with getting a snake you should have researched enough and looked into everything. Because any snake will bite, obviously some more than others and more frequent and stuff. However even a corn snake can bite.

But to finish up, when people do want to give there pets away or sell them, I really hope that they are going to the right homes and not just dumping them or giving them to an idiot who won't look after them. If I could take all unwanted snakes in I would! Haha. Don't get me wrong I'm not Steve Irvin and I don't know everything about snakes and I'm not really that experienced and I have so much to learn, but I'm willing to learn and exeptt that I don't know everything. I think that's the difference between a good keeper and a bad keeper. I hate all the ignorance in the hobby and all the I know more than you, you should do this, don't do that bullshit. We should be here to help and guide eachother. To make our snakes and other reptiles have as best a life as possible. I recently helped a guy sell his 2 royals to a good home, he was just going give them away to a prat but I said don't and he's glad he didn't. So I have done a good deed for the hobby! Haha. so far since Iv been on here I've had no arguements or any horrible comments, and I hope it stays that way because I won't tolerate it from anybody!

I want to learn as much as I can from as many people as possible, I don't care if you have 39 years or 3 months of experience, all your opinions and comments are very welcome and I do appreciate and take on board everything.

I'm not a fan of all this Facebook page this Facebook page that crap. I hate Facebook, and I'm sure there will be more ignorant people on there than anywhere else because there is always drama on there. so I want to try and bring a good site back to life with good keepers and good people all in 1 place sharing there knowledge and helping one another.

Sorry for the rant guys, haha

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't really think to take a picture, haha. Should have done really eh?! Haha. Next time I will get a snap on my wounds for the world to see

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice haha urs is around the same size as mine by the looks of pics.
Not looking to get a kiss off her tho :2thumb:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah she's only a baby, I'm not to sure how old she is. Need to ask my mate. She's a beauty just she's a little git when anyone goes near her vivs. I'm hopeing it's just because she's a baby and she's being defensive. I'm getting her out without her striking but if anything goes past her face and she goes for it. But she goes out and about in her viv a lot so it's a strange one haha

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've been bitten, peed on, pooped on, and musked on. Just sperm and vomit to go. :gasp:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My very sweet Irian Jaya Carpet Python. First time in 8 years that he and I have had this disagreement. First thing in the morning, no food about, and he was fed about 5 days earlier, so technically shouldn't have been looking for food. He was out and about exploring and had previously been looking for girlies (breeding season). At this point I think he'd given up on the ladies and decided he was going to binge eat for a few weeks. I didn't get the memo and he tried to eat me when I opened his door for a chat.

They can still surprise you after many years of keeping them, though you can't let it make you nervous - it spoils the joy of keeping. You just have to make sure that you give them cues when they're not being fed - it's up to you to ensure that they don't make mistakes. I use a fly swat to place between a sleeping python and my hand reaching for a water dish. They then become more interested in the plastic and the new smells than what I'm doing.

Patched up:

A week leater - just a scratch!

And the time before, about 3 years ago, when I was silly enough to throw a rat in with my hand.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooooooo shit that looks hefty!
That's 1 nasty biter haha.
Nah I won't let a bite put me off, it's just part of it.
Think that was the main reason for my big rant up there haha.
I understand why it puts people off, just don't get them in the first place haha.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Snakes will always always try to eat you at some point. And why I don't keep anything larger than a Carpet Python. :lol:

I like the ones that you know will try to eat you, like Asian Ratsnakes, but the one's you have to watch are the ones that lull you in to a false sense of security with their puppy-dog eyes and turned up snouts.

I had a loose Royal try to eat me from a hiding spot between two vivs as I walked past. She got the back of my t-shirt. I thought it was hilarious and super adorable.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Snakes will always always try to eat you at some point. And why I don't keep anything larger than a Carpet Python. :lol:

I like the ones that you know will try to eat you, like Asian Ratsnakes, but the one's you have to watch are the ones that lull you in to a false sense of security with their puppy-dog eyes and turned up snouts.

I had a loose Royal try to eat me from a hiding spot between two vivs as I walked past. She got the back of my t-shirt. I thought it was hilarious and super adorable.
Exactly. I'd love to have a big snake but I'd only get one if I had the space in the house. I hate it when people have a 20ft snake in a 1ft Viv. I'm not a fan of racks and rubs either so I'd build a nice big Viv got a retic or burm or something one day :)

I do want a boa though in the future

I think I'll mostly have royals though to be honest because I love them and I want so many of the morphs haha.

Hahahaha as if! I'd laugh if that happened to me haha. Iv been struck at so many times but only 1 bite so far. My riyal is a little fanny because she thinks she's dead hard in her Viv and when she's our she's a puppy and just wants to be in a ball. Got a lot of work with her to do yet but we will get there :) feeding day today. She didn't eat last week but my 2 corns are like dustbins especially my 3 year old corn. 1 look at a mouse and it's gone in seconds! Haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts