Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Wow! Lucky you! Feed him, feed him, encourage him!

Good job he's not in Northumberland cos he'd be dead now!

·
Registered
31,909 Posts

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We do our weekly shop on a friday so i picked up a whole load of nuts in the bag or him/her. We used to have a grey that just chewed the bottom off the bags and ate all the nuts from the floor so hopefully this one will be a bit smarter.
The blacks are slightly bigger as well.
Marina:)

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Oh, he's lovely, lucky you.

I get loads of grey squirrels in my garden from the woods behind the house and I love watching them. Thanks for the link about the black ones Eileen, that's really interesting.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
awwwwwwwwww its lovely-never seen a black one before!!! You must be a lucky person!!!- put the lottery on for tonight!!! :lol2:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Av seen a black one befor they are nice but are getting taken over by the red squirrel. so inless something is done about it they might not be around for much longer.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
iv never seen a black 1 :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Av seen a black one befor they are nice but are getting taken over by the red squirrel. so inless something is done about it they might not be around for much longer.
I don't see how thats possible. The blacks are melanistic greys and it's widely known that eastern greys are responsible for the demise of the native reds.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I don't see how thats possible. The blacks are melanistic greys and it's widely known that greys are responsable for the demise of the native reds.
lol i thought it was the red that was taking over lol shows how much i know about them.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
I don't see how thats possible. The blacks are melanistic greys and it's widely known that greys are responsable for the demise of the native reds.
Sorry Finch, he's right they're chasing our reds all the way up to Scotland. That's why I said if it was in Northumberland it would be dead.

DEFRA have funded a 3 year project to protect the reds by creating a 5Km 'buffer zone' to keep the greys out - so far this year they've killed 4,050 greys!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
If thats the case then we should kill most of them and use them for meat av got know problem eating a squirrel.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
cute squirrel :)

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
cool didn't know you could get black squirrels!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts