Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mike mc, your not the oly one. i got a lil hoggie yesterday too lol here "he" is :d (didnt mean to steal ur thunder:lol2: , but i am postin pics of my fellas anyway)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
nice hoggie you got there hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as i do with mine!! they are such characters....think each one is unique.they have so much front mine has given it the big hiss & false strike a couple of times now,have fallen in love with these great sankes :razz:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tell me about it, ie has struk, head butted (false strike???), and flattens his neck to look like a cobra. or just sits in the viper 's' shape and hisses. he has a thick layer of aspen, and half a log to hide in, yet he still sits by the front waiting for me to pass so he can have a go lol. glad he is only little lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I always think its a shame that they lose that behaviour as they tame and grow,they have such a big personality for a small snake!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
mines fine not gone for me so far,its tiny thou compared to yours mate

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how big is yours? mine is only 7 inch long? he is in a 8x6 plastic, and i will move him up to a 12x16 pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nice snake fella i do love the colour on these snakes.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Gotta love the hoggies :flrt: I should soon be getting another one to go with my female - I have my eye on a year old male at our local reptile store. The albinos are beautiful - I looked at BJHerp's on his website but hubby said no :cry: to that one.

Apparently the babies can also play "roll over on your back and pretend you're dead" as a last resort - I've never seen that but they must look funny :)

Congrats on your hoggies, guys, you'll love them.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The "play dead" behaviour isnt very common in westerns but boy do the easterns put on a good show! The funniest thing is, even if you put them the right way up they will still flip over again.

I guess things can only be dead lying on their backs :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Ah right :) The only thing I've seen mine do is hiss and hood up when I wanted her to eat and she was on her fast ... she thought she was being really scary :lol2:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine thisnks its a cobra too, and a viper, it does the hood, and the coils and s shape poses...ok so you still walk by if i am a cobra...what if i am a viper lol

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I Am Jealous! Gorgous. i Love these snakes, so much character, I hope yours are full of beans and like to head but you :p (What i want :p) I mightbe gettin a adult hoggie and set up for 50 (Fingers crossed) Good Luck with it :D

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Your boy is a stunning looking snake, are they hard to keep as i have 6 corn snakes and i was just wondering?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Western hogs are ridiculously easy to keep, the only sticking point is that some do fast for quite a long time. Theyre not like royals that fast and starve themselves, they will eat eventually it just alarms new owners sometimes!
I have recommended these to beginners before, so having kept a few corns before you coulf probably manage one easily.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Tag. I got me a wee fat hoggie on Saturday :p

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Dunno if mines is. I could have went away with one from the same clutch as yours though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts