Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully it should be with me, within a week..

Front =

Back -

I changed my plans yet again after deciding the runs were never big enough when bought with coops.. So I'm ordering chicken wire and fence posts and making my own around a part of my garden so they have much more space but still can't get out. Just stuck on what kind of door/gate to make to get into the run. I think maybe just make a frame out of batons and then chicken wire it and add hinges and a lock.

The chicken wire will be dug in 2 foot under the ground and it is also edged with concrete blocks which are dug in (These are already here around the piece of land I'm using for the run.)

I have also ordered the feeder and drinker. Will get the food locally as I have a discount voucher to use for some ex-bat pellets.

Once everything is completed, I can finally get my chickens, yay!!

Is it that important to put a roof over the top of the whole run? They will be locked in the coop at night and the run sides will be over 6 foot high.

The only animals we get coming into the garden during the day are cats - Only ours though since the CPL collected the stray.

Any other advice?

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It arrived this morning!! YAY!

Tomorrow I will be putting it together and preparing the land where it's going - woo!

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Bet you can't wait now to get it all set up.

If when getting your hens, let us know on prices so you don't get ripped off. Seems a lot of people are selling poultry now and at very silly prices cause newbies aren't aware.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just about to go and start putting it together now :D

My chicken wire hasn't arrived yet though so I can start the big run.. Might go and get the fence posts today though.

I've seen quite a range in price in hens, some people are clearly breeding to try and make a ton of money. I've already been offered 4 hens and a cock for free froma friend who's Mum is moving house. But I've declined and offered them to my other friend (Although neither of us want cockerels) as I'm really quite keen on getting me some ex-battery hens from the BHWT and giving a donation to them.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Make sure at the gate you put a lock at the top and bottom: victory: Good luck :D

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I'm just about to go and start putting it together now :D

My chicken wire hasn't arrived yet though so I can start the big run.. Might go and get the fence posts today though.

I've seen quite a range in price in hens, some people are clearly breeding to try and make a ton of money. I've already been offered 4 hens and a cock for free froma friend who's Mum is moving house. But I've declined and offered them to my other friend (Although neither of us want cockerels) as I'm really quite keen on getting me some ex-battery hens from the BHWT and giving a donation to them.

Cool. You certainly won't be rpped off with ex bats.

Guy on preloved asking £40 for a pair of LEGBARS! The guy is tripping! lol
I just got 5 POL Cream crested legbars for £9 each and cockerals are either free or £5 lol
£20 for the hen and £20 for the cockeral and then going on how he can sell the eggs at £1 each. well if you want pure I'd stay clear as he has all his chucks mixed breeds together. Just cause you have pure different breeds together does not mean they will pair up accordingly to breed lol The hen will have been served by all and sundry and would be 4 to 6 weeks before laying pure if penned seperate.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. You certainly won't be rpped off with ex bats.

Guy on preloved asking £40 for a pair of LEGBARS! The guy is tripping! lol
I just got 5 POL Cream crested legbars for £9 each and cockerals are either free or £5 lol
£20 for the hen and £20 for the cockeral and then going on how he can sell the eggs at £1 each. well if you want pure I'd stay clear as he has all his chucks mixed breeds together. Just cause you have pure different breeds together does not mean they will pair up accordingly to breed lol The hen will have been served by all and sundry and would be 4 to 6 weeks before laying pure if penned seperate.
Blimey! Sounds expensive.

I've put the coop together, took 2 of us half an hour, well impressed.

This is where the run is going.

OH modeling it..

The cat has already decided it's his home lol :?

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I know your all excited but

If your house is rented, you stated you had no pets and then you stick a coop in the garden, and nextdoor knows your landlady, maybe that is why you are getting an early inspection?
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/off-topic-adult-18/463081-shitting.html

If you haven't asked permission off your landlady about the chickens, you won't also know wether the deeds to the house prohibit Poultry Keeping.
Such a shame that you have gone so far ahead with these plans, bought a coop etc. If it turns out that your landlady says huge no or that the deeds say No to poultry aswell.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Be careful as Pimperella says.I bought some hens a couple of years ago and everyone warned me about foxes and the mess they can make of a garden but the two drawbacks I have found are that they are noisy.Granted not as noisy as cockerels but when the get excited or spooked they mak a bit of a racket.The main disadvantage is that they attract rats especially in the winter so you will have to be on the lookout for these.
On the up side the eggs are good:no1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts