Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so if u read the link i left yesterday about my sons teacher asking me 2 bring hissy in on friday well the out come ov that is she informed me that bringing hissy in now would not be feasable as sum1 told her that pythons were dangerous but if i wudnt mind bringing him in next summer then that will be ok dont really understand as next summer he will be bigger and occording to her as he is dangerous now imagine wot a bigger dangerous snake cud do dont understand im really confussed now

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Oh for goodness sake!! I think the whole bring him in the summer thing is just an easy way to fob u off....would love to know just how much this person who told her "pythons are dangerous" actually knows about snakes?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant believe how much crap people believe i showed her pictures ov my 4 year old son kissing him she asked why my son hadnt got gloves on as she thought they were slimey i nearly fell thru the bloody floor utterly unbelivable

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
uugghhh.....which just shows how many people should open themselves up to being educated on these amazing animals xx

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Oh for the love of god... where do people get these ideas from?! :?

I must admit, I was pretty much against the idea of you taking the snake into a school (for all the right reasons - snakes wellbeing etc) but I'll be damned if that hasnt made me do a full 180degree turnaround in my opinion....

If you do infact get an opportunity.. .get that snake into the school ASAP!! These people clearly need a real education about our NON-SLIMEY, NON-DANGEROUS friends!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh believe me i will 2morrow im going to be seeing the head master any info u guys want 2 add would be greatly appreciated as i will show the head this forum and this topic showing how pet snakes are not the same as wild snakes and are deffinatly not going to eat the wains so cum on guys please feel to post any info or links and piccys u may have thanku again for ur help guys

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh believe me i will 2morrow im going to be seeing the head master any info u guys want 2 add would be greatly appreciated as i will show the head this forum and this topic showing how pet snakes are not the same as wild snakes and are deffinatly not going to eat the wains so cum on guys please feel to post any info or links and piccys u may have thanku again for ur help guys

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its nice to know that these well balanced open minded highly educated people are shaping the minds of our children!!!!!

Teachers piss me off in so many ways, but this is a perfect example of them not knowing what the hell goes on in the real world, maybe if you told them that the world was flat they would belive that too.

Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
My friend is a primary school teacher and i have brought some of my animals in for the kids, so far it has only been for P1-3 and the kids loved it! It helps educate them and stops the stupid myths surrounding reptiles,this person has lost a lot of valuable information that the kids could have got and i don't understand what difference a summer makes.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I remember the reactions a month ago when i said i was going to get two corns. People were like

"Are you crazy?!!"
"it'll eat you!"
"They're evil!"
"It'll bite you"!

People are silly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
my daughers teacher last year had her son come in with some reptiles for the kids to see, think he'd brought in a few beardies, a royal and a few others, my daughter thought she was great because she could answer most of the questions he asked about what they eat etc and she got to hold the royal, we'd only baby corns at this stage so she enjoyed holding the royal for a change

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Not to mention "you've got kids - you can't get a snake!!"
and "but they're venomous!!"" :roll:

The most dangerous critter in our house is a hormonal parrot.

My other half hates snakes - and will reach out happily to touch my monitor lizard (which could remove his fingers with one crunch). So when I ask him why he'll touch the monitor and not the snakes he say "it's OK - its got legs!!!" :roll:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
What a joke! My little brother's class have a mean little hampster as a class pet and believe me that thing is evil! I bet it can give a worse bite than a bloody corn or a Royal! You should see how long its teeth are and it hangs on once it does bite! I bet they wouldnt agree to a 'class snake' though! lmao! Pure bloody ignorance!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys gonna speak 2 the school 2morra see if i get n e where keep ur opinions cumin in please

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
At the risk of hijacking this thread :oops: I was told by a 'friend' that I was irresponsible getting a snake when I had 3 children.

Apparently snakes are evil and vicious and will bite and poison me if given half a chance... (I'd like to see my Royal try to poison me :confused: - did someone give it some arsenic to slip in my tea when I'm not looking?! :rotfl: )

Boy did I enjoy giving her an education on why my perfectly harmless docile snake in its secure locked vivarium is in every way safer than her ever 'ever so cute looking but snappy as hell around kids' puppy.

Hmmmm, why is it that we hear a lot about people being savaged by the family dog, but not by their pet snakes?! :?
I think we'll be waiting some time for that particular "And finally...." story on the news!

MAYBE, just maybe its
a) Because reptile owners on the whole are a more responsible group of individuals who research and decide which animal is suitable for them.

b) Because reptiles are infact, in the right hands, NOT dangerous!

Hmmm, food for thought?

I must say that she didnt have a lot to say to that - especially considering that her cute doggy did infact go for her eldest son recently!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is exactly wot i was going on about there is a huge lassie dog that sits outside my sons school growling at the wains but nothing is said about that as its old and dusnt know wot its doing so bloody wot i dont let hissy or baby out on their own and hissy has never struck at my children surley a bite off a dog ca do more damage than a royal who shows no aggression at all

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Precisely... what is it that makes it acceptable for people to own dogs that are clearly known for their aggression, yet its not acceptable to own reptiles?!

"Its ok though, cos dogs can guard a property" Yeah? Well I defy a burglar to still nick off with your property when faced with a p*ssed off retic! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You should remind them of that woman on the TV a little while ago who got her face ripped off by her pet dog, and had to have a face transplant. A bite from a royal is hardly anything to worry about! Thats just riduculous! And if the snake isnt even fully grown yet...I really cant see the problem!

I really get so frustrated when people think like this. At college one of my really good friends had never held a snake, and she was just like...meh...whenever snakes were mentioned, but I made her hold one at college while the tutor was out the room, and she was like, omg its so soft, their skin is so gorgeous, and started talking to the snake saying 'oh arent you beautiful' and all that.

We now have to come back to my house every lunch time so she can get her snake fix for the day!!! :lol:

Its just really stupid how the media and the bloody RSPCA tell everyone all these horror stories about one off agressive snakes, so just because one snake has a bad attitude they all do. ARGH!

:lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok... best thing to do is to do it the gently gently way.

Go in tomorrow and explain that YOU will be the one holding the snake.
It will only be the pupils that feel comfortable petting the snake WHILE YOU HOLD IT.
No pupil is going to be forced to touch it.
YOU WILL provide antibacterial wash for the kids afterwards.
Point out the arguements against FIRST then point out the arguements FOR ( this is twofold.... if you point out the agruements against first you show you have thought it through.... then go for the arguements for bringing hissy in and you then leave with those arguements at the forefront of his mind)
Lastly point out that there is unreasonable fear of snakes etc and influencing children at a young age AGAINST snakes just perpetuates the problem.

Hope this helps ( and makes sense)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
andyb5 said:
Lastly point out that there is unreasonable fear of snakes etc and influencing children at a young age AGAINST snakes just perpetuates the problem.
That's absolutely right - grandma hates snakes and always has and is quite vehement against them - as a result my husband is also terrified of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts