Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

guys i recieved my crix and locusts and stuff from rick today which his stuff is great but i have never had this before lol.

i got home and opened the bos and the crix are in a bag so is the locusts but i dont mind that.

but guys how in the hell am i supposed to open this bag each time and feed without loads getting free i cant stand crix i hate em lol and i dont know how to go about this let me know how you did it if you have ever recieved a bag of large crix

please

lol im such a wimp

xx

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Put em in the fridge for 10mins to slow them down, and either do that everytime or put em in a box:2thumb: They play dead when cold

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Put the bag inside an empty dustbin and remove the desired amount of crix so any that get loose fall straight into the empty (no bag) bin. or just tip a few into the bin and scoop them up in a crix box? then add some supplement and shake.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Depending on how many crix we are talking here when I used to get 1000 a time in a bag I would tip the bag into one of those storage boxes the plastic ones with lids and ventilate the lid so they can stay in there and just add food and water and then take out how many you want into your dusting pot/bag :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I wouldn't recomend keeping them in the bag anyway. I have a large plastic tub that I keep them in, so I just tip all the contents of the bag into it. the fun part is trying to get all the chewed news paper out without half the crickets coming with it! considering I get 1000 at a time that is sometimes quite dificult! locusts are usualy easier. they tend not to jump around too much anyway, just sit there and wait for you to pick them up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi there,

i have around 700 in a 6ft fish tank downstairs, and some very small size 2 black crix growing in a 3ft tank next to them, i use the tubs that you buy the crix in to dust/transport them upstairs to the viv. the big tank has a lid that i had my marine setup in, but it makes a brilliant crix house due to been tall and long, stick the smaller tub in, bang a egg carton on the hand catch a few and lid on, big lid on, shake and open for yoshi, thats the way to do it :2thumb:

·
Registered
976 Posts
They will soon eat there way outa the bag they came in but thats the norm with bulk buys,
as already said a good idea is get yourself to staples and buy a box,there are called really usefull boxes and many people use them for snakes,

they are ideal for keeping crickets and locust in,just make sure its deep enough so they cant jump out,
I have used them for ages and i never get any escapeeees,
Another good tip is when sorting them into the box is do it in the bath so any that get out while trying to box up are easilt caught,
outta hundreds of thousands i never loose any except the 2 locust under the washing machine :rotfl:.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i have ot had the best of luck using ordinary storage boxes but hats my lack of ability to provide proper ventialation I guess.
I use these kinda things

Aquatic Gardens Deluxe Plastic Aquarium With Lid

I can never find a pic of the actual ones i use anywhere lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts