Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pair of leo's and hopefully there gonna start mating anytime now...ive been told that u have to separate the geckos when she becomes gravid,if this is true when should i separate them and how long for.and also is it hard to look after the hatchlings ive read books and care sheets but theyre all jibberish to me.any help/tips and advice will be gratly appriciated! thanks xxx

·
Registered
336 Posts
check out www.thegeckospot.com lots of simple advice, you'll need an incubator, hatching tub, hatching substrate and a few other bits and bobs too but all is listed on that website, if you need the bits use the link in my sig :twisted:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS

thank u...i mean i have books and a reptilia mag on them but i think they go in to too much un needed info and for a first time own it gets confusing

·
Registered
336 Posts
gecko spot are quite good, most people will just say whats on there, i keep bd's so no practicall exp for you.

Hope to get a couple colour morphs soon though

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beardies

i was thinkin of gettin some bd's cuz i want some more reps but something bigger than the leo's...dont get me wrong i love em 2 bits but i find them fiddly to handle my male is great he likes sitting on my shoulder but the female is nosey she'll come up 2 my hand when theyre fed but she wil not be picked up..me and my partner have both tried and she bit him.ive heard bd's are good natured and easy to look after....are they best kept alone or do they need cage mates????

·
Registered
336 Posts
db's are great fun, mine love to sit on me and watch tv or run arround on my desk when on my main computer, alot more interactive than geckos but geckos take less space

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
the reason they say to separate the female is mostly cos the male will continue to try and mate even though she is gravid. this can cause undue stress to the female...what i do is not split them but instead watch for the male harassing the female..she will bite him if he does it too much but if this still does not stop him you will have to split them...

the babies are just teeny tiny adults and so basically need similiar care. just have the temps slightly lower and keep a litte bit more humid. obviously feed smaller crickets no bigger then their head and make sure you dust with calcium every other feed when little...

i would worry about incubating the eggs first though!! :D

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was asking about separating them as ive been told that the male can kill the female whilst shes gravid.i have a spare glass viv(fingers crossed that i wont have to separate them) could i turn that into an incubator if i put the eggs in cricket tubs???

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
KILL!? no that wouldn't happen! :)
if the glass viv can hold water then yes you can..you would need aquarium heater though...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it could prob only hold about 2inches of water. its one i had for my first gecko but when he died someone told me that glass vivs are bad so i went out n got a wooden one for the leos i have now.so glass one is jus sat in garage! or if i coludnt use it as an incubator could i use it to house the hatchlings when i get some ?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
oh yeah i think i know the ones...that wouldn't work...
best tip is to make one out of a styrofoam box then or have a look on ebay for one...
the tank would be fine for babies, maye be bit too big but you could put something inside it to make it smaller...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know if thius would work but i was thinking of using the viv to keep babies in but actuslly keeping them in shoe boxes with air holes or something.an jus using the viv for the heat. like i say jus an idea dont know if it wud work

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
that will work fine...just make sure they are in the middle of the tank so not too hot or cold...a smaller tank means they can find their food a bit more easily..

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
my female mated about a week ago.i left her in the viv till last night as my male was starting to bully her.she did bite him and give him a smack with her tail that seemed to do the trick but i put her in her own viv now anyway.Some do leave them in and i tried it myself but some boys will be boys so i had to seperate my too.see what works for you really.like BELIAL said just keep and eye on your male for bullying and worst comes to the worst,seperate her. :wink:

·
Registered
336 Posts
aww, i cant wait till i can get some geckos now!

just need the money and the room!

maybe i can sell a kid.......

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Apoca6 said:
aww, i cant wait till i can get some geckos now!

just need the money and the room!

maybe i can sell a kid.......
you could try! don't know what the going rate for children is though!? :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
MY kids should be worth a few quid :D i make beautiful babies ;) lol

about 10pence then :twisted:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts