Reptile Forums banner

I need HUGE help :(

Tags
gecko
2K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Lezbatt 
#1 ·
Basically I've had my Leo geckos for a year and 3 months, none of them like being held and too be honest, i really want a gecko that likes to be played with. I really don't have the patience anymore as for a year and 3 months they're still as stubborn as ever :( One has a regen tail from when i bought it. I would sell these pair for £30 or swap with a more docile and playful pair of geckos. They're both females. Thank you

#3 ·
As far as I know non of them realy like it but tolerate it realy.I'm after some in the next few weeks so might be interested.
Wot colours are they and are they eating and pooping ok and is the weight good ?
Thanks stu.

#5 ·
if you are trying to sell them made a ad in classifieds instead...

if you are just asking for general advice. i would just, stick with it they will tame after a while...you just need to build their confidence up :)

#8 ·
I just want gecko's that allow me to handle them and are docile to be honest :/
They wont be docile without you consistently handling them in a calm manor.

You have to build up trust and a relationship over time.

#12 ·
whenever i go near them they just run off though, the one has skin left on his toe from shed but wont let me get it :/
You dont want to "get" it. Have you got a moist hide in their enclosure? If not get one in asap.

#11 ·
How have you gone about trying to tame them? You need to gradually build up their trust. How do you go about trying to pick them up and handle them? I personally wouldn't just give up.

If it's your handling/taming method that is causing the problem you're just going to have the same issue with whatever geckos you get.

#16 ·
I don't get this thread at all.

What is it you want exactly? You're not going to find geckos (or any reptile for that matter) that likes to be "played with" (your words not mine). They won't chase a ball, bat a piece of yarn or sit for hours while you scratch behind their ear. They just aren't that type of pet.

You want more docile geckos? That's kind of, well, hard to swallow to be perfectly honest. Leo's are among the easiest and most tolerant towards handling of all gecko species and most lizards as a whole. Sure you get the odd few that are complete arses but to magically have two in your possession strikes me as a bit far fetched.

This brings me to the last point, how exactly are you handling them? I'm getting the feeling it's your technique towards it that's causing the majority of the issue. Are you going in and "palming" them so to speak or gingerly trying to pick them up with your fingers and flinching at the slightest movement? If it's the latter then this could be a huge part of the issue. When I started handling lizards I was nervous, lacking confidence, used fingers instead of the whole hand and they really didn't like, they'd run off and it was hard to get them actually out. Nowadays I'm more experienced and I'll go in and just scoop them up, cupped in my hand no issue no hesitation and I have little problems when doing this. So I'd strongly look at your handling style and technique if I were you, it could be a good reason behind your difficulties.

But getting the handling right still won't change the fact, reptiles aren't pets you play with. If that's what you're really after then you're best off without the Leo's or reptiles in general and probably looking at something with a bit more fur.

#17 ·
Completely agree with the above. I don't really think any reptile "likes" to be played with. Having said that I have yet to come across a leo that was totally unhandleable.

Several of ours are pretty tame and will curl up and go to sleep on you if they're out for a while. A few are a bit skitty inside the viv but settle once they're out. We have 2 that are really not keen on being handled at all and would much rather be left alone but they don't really have a choice in the matter if they NEED to be handled to help with shedding or whatever then they get picked up and they tolerate it. Leos are generally the most handlable geckos and can become pretty tame with regular handling. If you back off and leave them be when they skit about then they won't get any better. I'm not one for sitting with my hand in the viv every night until they climb on you (although I have heard this does work with patience) I'm much more a grab the bull by the horns type. Just be confident and scoop them up. I'd put money on them settling down after they've been out for a few minutes. Let them walk up your arm or body while sitting on the couch or bed in case they jump. Keep doing it and they'll calm down but like has been said they'll never "play"

#22 ·
When you're getting them out how do approach them and go about doing it? If you really feel that you can't cope with handling them, maybe they're better off with someone a little more experienced, but I wouldn't advice that you get another reptile.

#24 ·
I'm sorry but you have to work with the gecko. I have had a gecko that ive owned for six months and she still doesn't like to be handled very much but she can be out her viv and around you no problem. It's just their personalities and saying you need 'HUGE help' because your gecko doesn't like to be handled is a bit over dramatic. Like I said on your previous thread check temps and everything to make sure the geckos home is perfect and then you should be thinking about handling them. A happy gecko is one that will likely be handled more easily and I saw on your last thread you were using eco earth in their moist hide. Use sphagnum moss if you can get it, if you can't get some kitchen roll in there and fold it up. It holds the moisture well enough and isn't loose so they have no way of swallowing it. Gradually day by day put your hand in the viv for 10 minutes everyday. Soon they will realize you aren't going to hurt them and they will wan't to know what this big thing is. Then you will be able to handle them once they are used to you. You can't just get rid of a reptile because it doesn't like to be handled. Get something else like a couple of rats if you want something to handle.

#25 ·
Would you like it if this big thing kept one coming up to you and pinching your chest and picking you up. You need to let them come on to your hand as said in other posts. Just read the ADVISE that's what it is. No one is having a go at you but the title of the thread was a bit extreme
Try taming a German shepherd that at the mere sight of you wants to rip you apart now that is hard work and takes months to years. One of mine bites me all the time.

Ps watch the language it's a family friendly forum

#27 ·
Makes me feel very lucky to have ended up rehoming such a 'tame' leo, I only have the one but she loves coming out, whenever I open the door she comes out of hiding to clamber up on to my hand.

Perhaps you need to spend more time just with your hand in the viv, just laying on the floor, just don't move it, and if you do move it closer to them do it very slowly so they don't flee. Do that until eventually they want to know what it is, they will usually come over and lick you a bit, just don't be alarmed, don't move or anything. It's a very slow process, and it won't help if every time you go in the cage you frighten them by grabbing them.

#28 ·
eco earth is fine in the moist hide, i use it because i`ve had a leo eat moss.

maybe you need more confidence handling them? if you`re a bit timid and dont support them they will struggle and run off.... putting your hand in the viv and getting them used to it first may help.
are you using a strong soap or something that they dislike the smell of?

you need to get the shed off their toes though, before it goes tight and their toes fall off.
put them in a cricket tub on saking wet kitchenroll and put them on the hot side for 15/20 minutes, it`ll them be soft and you can rub it off with a ringer or wet cotton bud.

#30 ·
I have a 3 gecko's and one of them just does not like attention at all. I think it' because the previous owners were a tad scared of him and just occasionally poked him with a pen to see he was alive...I've had him for about 4 years now and I still can't just take him out of his tank, I have a cardboard tube in his tank which i take out with him in it and then put him in a rub then he lets me pick him up once he's out in the rub but if i was to pick him up in his tank he would give me a nasty bite lol Maybe you could try something along those lines? Another idea might be to get the smallest heat mat you can like the one for faunariums and put it on your lap (switched on) with some kitchen roll over to stop him burning himself then sit him on top of it on you lap he might associate you with warmth and comfort?. But as I said 4 years down the line and mine still plays up when i put my hand in his tank so I guess it's your judgment on whether you should keep on with him or swap with someone who's had experience with anti social geckos lol hope that helps buddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.