Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have been wanting a crested gecko for a while now and I am always the type of person to over think things which i suppose is better than just diving in head firstt and picking up and animal you don't know how to care for
Anyways after months of researching what to feed my future crested gecko i came across 2 articles and a youtube video which discussed diet and they pointed to study from 2007

Here is a copy and pasted quote from 1 of the articles and what is also shown in the video:

"Field studies over a significant number of specimens and over an amount of time enabling to take into account seasonal variations have shown the following stomach contents for Correlophus Ciliatus:
  • Pollen aggregates 10.3%
  • Soft seeds 1.8%
  • Berries 11.7%
  • Fruit juices 7.52%
  • insects 49.6%
  • Coleoptera 9.45%
  • Caterpillars and butterflies 7.52%
  • Diptera 3.12%
  • Roaches 6.2%
  • Orthoptera (crickets and locusts) 21.6%
  • Remains of smaller lizards including their own youngs 11.4%
  • Remains of other vertebrate prey 8.68%,
  • of which young rodents 6.42%"
Saint-Dizier, H. 2007

But having downloaded the PDF myself and translated into english ( it is written in French), and I just cant seem to find anywhere in the study that says this?

Am I just being stupid or is this study just being referenced without actually having been read?

Very confused

Thanks
Kaitlin :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe that diet breakdown comes from this book: Seipp, R. and F. W. Henkel. 2000. Rhacodactylus: Biology, Natural History and Husbandry. Andreas S. Brahm, Edition Chimaira, Frankfurt, Germany

Not that French article, that French article simply references that book.

Often generic online sources (like youtube videos and random online care sheets) reference things incorrectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thankyou for your response !

Interesting, Ive had a quick look around the internet and it seems that book is very hard to come by, Ive seen some people selling it for £400 ...

I will make a seperate post and see if anybody has this book on hand to check

Many thanks !

·
Registered
709 Posts
Haha who would have thought a book of diets would be so expensive and hard to get ahold of.

I'm not sure how accurate the article is, but I have to say it does seem closer if not.

I also over think things, unfortunately when u first got a Crestie, internet didn't exist. So once Google came along I did lots of research to improve for my Cresties.

But struggled to get much info on ratios

1 - 5 of 5 Posts