Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not dared to introduce him yet as we did not expect him to still be here to be honest.

2 weeks ago we rescued Sam the African grey parrot.
Sadly previous home had not been able to provide what he needed the last months due to personal problems and he had been living in a bird room with lots of other birds and no ventilation.

His previous owner needed to rehome him asap so we took him here.

Sadly Sam was very quickly taken poorly after arrival and was taken to Trinity Avian vet in Maidstone where he has spend the last week having xrays , endoscopy and finally being diagnosed with aspergillosis
Even thou we had only had him 9 days when he fell sick we had totally fallen in love with him.

Sadly for us as he fell poorly so early on insurance never managed to kick in and now he cant ever be insured but we will get thru that somehow.
The last week of treatment has cost us £600

Anyway Sam came back home last night.
He is obviously still not out of the woods for a long time.
Vet said he has seen lots worse case of Aspergillosis and only one air sac is infected so vet is hopeful of recovery.

So now we dare to breathe a little again and introduce Sam the 10 year old Timneh African Grey.
He is a bit quiet today and demanding lots of cuddles as its all a bit confusing ( new home , vets for a week , back to new home ect )
After only 2 weeks he is already talking which is something we did not expect and he is eating like a horse LOL

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
he is a stunning parrot and bst of luck for the future wish you the best

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Well done for taking him on. Timnehs are sweeties!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Best of luck with Sam. :2thumb:

As for Aspergillosis - I have been through that one & sadly I lost one of my pet Greys on Saturday afternoon who had been living with the illness since December 2005.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts

As for Aspergillosis - I have been through that one & sadly I lost one of my pet Greys on Saturday afternoon who had been living with the illness since December 2005.
Sorry to hear that Ken x

·
Registered
125 Posts
He's stunning :flrt:. I hope he gets better soon

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So sorry to hear that - heart breaking for you all

We are realistic that he might not make it and that treatment is long term.
We have talked to a few people who's birds have made a full recovery but also with several who are still treating it 4ish yrs down the line.
Whatever happen we will try and make however long he has left the best ever for him and let him go if it get to a point where he is suffering.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
he is a stunning bird, he's really landed on his feet with you :notworthy: best of luck with him : victory:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arrr... I think i saw your gorgeous Grey yesterday.. Through the door... I also heard it!!.... I was taking my Poorly tortoise to see Mark... My tort had to be kept in too!...
He is stunning... Fingers crossed hes on the right road to recovery....
I think it must have been Chalky the Grey you saw/heard at Marks as Sam came home late monday evening ( and Sam is very quiet LOL )
Chalky also has Aspergillosis but as he is very aggressive his owners is boarding him in the vets as they cant get the meds into him LOL He has been there for 2 months now.
Mark said its a daily battle and Chalky psych himself up to have a go at them when they enter the room by being loud and banging his head on the bars or floor LOL

So sorry that your Tortoise had to stay in as well - They seem a fab practise thou ( first time we have used them as we use a local vet for normal non Avian stuff )

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mark is a fantastic vet...
Arrr i do love Greys, never had one meself, but they are stunning... I hope your new boy makes a complete recovery.. Well done you for taking him on...
My tortoise hasnt been eating at all, and she has been in and out the vets for months now.. poor thing!...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts