Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So harvey the king snake loves to soak so at least once a week I set up a huge container with warm water, he's got a large water dish in his home but this is enough for him to swim in. He likes it so much hed probably stay in for hours lol. His second favorite thing next to swimming is drinking like a cute lil camel. Today after he drank for about 5 straight minutes he decide the swimming lesson was over and crawled out...then he made a noise that sounded like a sneeze and sprayed a fair amount of water on me! Now maybe this is a silly question but I've never heard of a snake sneezing unless theres something terribly wrong with it, so should i be worried? There's no other signs of distress or sickness(wheezing, labored breathing etc)....can snakes just sneeze if they get a tickle like the rest of us? lol this sounds really silly to me and sorry if you guys think its ridiculous, but a quick google search of sneezing snakes kinda reminds me of checking your symptoms on webmd and coming away thinking you've got something terminal. Thanx for reading!

heres the handsome devil!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yeah it can happen!

As you've found it's usually after a big drink or if they've had their heads in water. He may have had some water in his nose :lol2:

It can indicate RI's in some cases, but I very much doubt thats the case especially as you saw him take a drink just before it happened.

My royal woke me up one night he did it so loudly, looks like he had a fight with the water bowl as the contents were spread all over the vivarium.. :whistling2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thats just adorable! Thats true, it was like he was clearing out his nose or throat lol. Thank you both, you've lessened my worries!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
We take snakes to schools etc every week
one retic and one burmese both sneeze at similar scents

can be funny to watch
worrying the first couple of times
but then figured it out
Probably just due to compression of the lung, if they're being transported in moderate sizes containers?

In response to the question; it's nothing to worry about. Unless there's gunge coming out of its mouth and nostrils and it sounds like a kettle on the boil, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Robbie
with ours its one type of incense

incense is very commonly used here
those 2 snakes both thoroughly dislike one particular spice
I can't help but sympathise; the smell of incense is quite overwhelming at times!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts