Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already keep a BCI x BCC and a thai yellow head retic

I only want one tarantula, im not amazingly keen on holdin them etc but i think there fascinating. If I do get one I want a big one that is known to be aggresive and a big eater. What do you suggest? I have heard of the goliath tarantulas, any caresheets? Plus if people could post any pics of there big tarantulas and set ups id appreciate it

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Orange Baboon T?

Very aggressive and eat well.

look great too, possibly not a good first T, but then not many aggressive T's are.

·
Registered
915 Posts
i take it you mean a pterinochilus murinus .. very agressive and fast but not that big !!, Go for a salmon pink bird eater(lasiodora parahybana) or one of the goliaths (theraphosa blondi or theraphosa apophysis) the latter being the pinkfoot goliath you wont be dissapointed with any of those species

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i take it you mean a pterinochilus murinus .. very agressive and fast but not that big !!, Go for a salmon pink bird eater(lasiodora parahybana) or one of the goliaths (theraphosa blondi or theraphosa apophysis) the latter being the pinkfoot goliath you wont be dissapointed with any of those species
I did think of L parahybana but they want an aggressive T and mine is as soft as my G rosea so i dont generally think of them when people say "aggressive"

·
Registered
915 Posts
if you want really aggressive dont be too bothered about size and go for one of the babboon species such as pterinochilus species ceratogyrus species or a citharischius crawshayi the king baboon only problem with these is they like a deep subsrate to make a burrow in and you will just have a pet hole but food will dissapear at night even eat mice

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Only problem with Africans is that most burrow... e.g. Citharischius.. it's a tank full of dirt!! lol

Try something like a Theraphosa blondi, Brachypelma smithi, Pamphobeteus species get lovely!! And if you only want the one for a longer period ensure its female :) Any spiders of the Lasiodora, Grammostola and Brachypelma genus' are lovely!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you;ll have to talk english lol, i know near 2 nothing aout spider names, not there latin names n e way.

Anyone have any good shops to buy tarantulas bar thespidershop.com

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats the best age to get a spider at? Spiderling? Juvenile? or sub/adult?
My mate has a female chiliean rose and he said the females live longer than the males, is this true? If so how lnog do they live? I like the goliaths, how hard are they to get hold of and how much?

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
sub adult or juviI recon, and yes females live much longer than males, males only live a year or so after their maturing moult whereas females of some species live 15 even 20+ years

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
How long female tarantulas live is like asking how long a piece of string is. Depends. Different parts of the world short lived others like Brachys (Mexican red knees, red legs, black velvet, and so on can live for decades some exceeding 20 years whereas a female from brazil may live 12 years. I personally would recommend a sub adult maybe juvenile Lasidora Parahybana (salmon pink bird eater) some argue that they grow bigger than blondi (goliath bird eater) however depends some species may be bigger even of the same kind and plus they are great display species spending a lot of time in the open and though defensive not nearly as aggressive as a goliath. They are a pretty good species to go for as a beginner who wants something big and as you dont intend on ever holding it it wont cause any problem, only downside is cleaning out the tank which is maybe twice a year and temporarily re homing it for an hour and then back again can be a chore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I already keep a BCI x BCC and a thai yellow head retic

I only want one tarantula, im not amazingly keen on holdin them etc but i think there fascinating. If I do get one I want a big one that is known to be aggresive and a big eater. What do you suggest? I have heard of the goliath tarantulas, any caresheets? Plus if people could post any pics of there big tarantulas and set ups id appreciate it
If you only want one tarantula then my best advice is don't get any :D It's wildly addictive and you'll soon find yourself wanting more!

Indeed they are fascinating, do not require handling, are easy to look after and altogether very rewarding.

In addition to those already suggested, consider any from the following genera:
Acanthoscurria, Megaphobema, Xenesthis

'Bigger' species tend to grow at a decent rate, so getting them from a sling wouldn't be too bad. But I guess going with a juv/sub-adult would probably suit you better to begin with :)

Cheers,
Adam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts