Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was bought as a Curly Hair a few moults ago, however he/she is majorly different to my other Curly Hair of the same size. The carapace of this one is much lighter, and the hairs are far less 'curly'. It is also quite aggressive, attacking anything that touches him/her; which from what i've heard is uncommon among Curlys. I know a 'correct' ID cannot be made just by a photograph, but i was wondering if anyone could suggest if it is a curly hair, or what else it could be? :)

This is with a flash:

And this is without a flash:

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
That don't look like any curly hair Ive seen. However, they are very widespread so you may find locational differences.
I personally think it looks closer to Brachypelma schroederi but Im not saying that's what it is.
An examination of a moult would help to ID properly. You could ask Stuart Longhorn from the BTS, he may provide a more accurate ID.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
I have a spider who until this moult two days ago was identical. Before her moult was tentatively IDed as a 'hobby albopilosum' on the BTS FB group. Bought by her previous owner as B. verdezi by a less than helpful seller. Stuart Longhorn believes her to be a vagans/albopilosum hybrid. She moulted into a black T with red abdomen haors to get that ID. Nearly impossible to differentiate these species and hybrids by spermathecae. My bet is yours is the same as mine.

Before moult:

After moult:

Such a dramatic change. I would be interested to know where you got her from in case they can both be traced back. Mine was sold to the old owner as verdezi then sold to me as A. hentzi (!). It is obviously neither.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Certainly not a Curley Hair. Quite possible it's not even the same species. I've had slings -> adults and your picture looks nothing like any Curley hairs I've seen.

I had an Earth Tiger which didn't look too dissimilar to this pre-juve' - but it did change a lot in its final moults.

Check when moulted, or wait until it's had a few more moults at least but you've been sold something other than a Curley Hair here :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kathy, they do look similar! Mine was from a pet shop in Dartford, Living Reef. But yes, he/she seem's to change color considerably every molt, she's only developed the light carapace in her most recent one. I'll have to keep you posted if her coloring's change again next molt!

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts