Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me what type of cat fish this is??
clipper in orange at the bottom of pic for size comparison

·
Banned
950 Posts
certainly big at 50cm, but definately not the biggest. a couple can get really big - upto and around a metre or so.

Harry
Try 5 feet or 1.7 meters......when i used to swim in the Springs in Florida, they were a nuiscance species to the Manatees that had been introduced by fish keepers. I definitely swam side by side w/ some that were close to my height in length (6 foot).

·
Banned
950 Posts
loricariids growing to that size? i know other catfish happily reach that size, but not loris. Acanthicus adonis is the largest i know of, at just over a metre.
LOL...idk the facts biologically, but i am merely telling you what my eyes saw when i was diving w/ mask and snorkel. I assure you the Pleco or "Armored Catfish" i encountered were well over 3 feet. Sh*t, im pretty sure I've seen some in fishtanks that were close to 4 feet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
that might be why - armoured catfish are the Doradid family, with many reaching around 4 feet in length, pseudodoras niger springs to mind.

however, unless in a public aquarium, i doubt you would find a 4ft catfish, namely because very few of the commonly available catfish reach anywhere near that size.

Harry

·
Banned
950 Posts
that might be why - armoured catfish are the Doradid family, with many reaching around 4 feet in length, pseudodoras niger springs to mind.

however, unless in a public aquarium, i doubt you would find a 4ft catfish, namely because very few of the commonly available catfish reach anywhere near that size.

Harry
It was not a Doradid, it was indeed Loricariidae and I'm positive of this. The term "Armored Catfish" refers to about 5 different gena, which is why i put it in quotes. We need to remember that minimum and maximum sizes are only what we have recorded and there is much more than what man has discovered in the vast unexplored wilderness, ESPECIALLY under water.

Remember when we thought the Blue Whale was the largest animal that ever lived? Yea, that was until they discovered the Ultrasaurus skeleton. Remember when we thought Tyrannosaurus was the largest Carnosaur? Yea, then we discovered Spinosaurus aegypticus, Charcharadontosaurus and Gigantosaurus.

Fishing records are broken all the time, and what's even more out-of-place is that not all authentic specimens are accepted as viable record due to "lack of proof" . Just because the proof doesn't exist doesn't mean THEY don't exist. What WE need to remember is that fish are Ectotherms (cold-blooded) and like Reptiles and Amphibians, they grow their entire lives in one way or another. This world is full of surprises.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
LOL...idk the facts biologically, but i am merely telling you what my eyes saw when i was diving w/ mask and snorkel. I assure you the Pleco or "Armored Catfish" i encountered were well over 3 feet. Sh*t, im pretty sure I've seen some in fishtanks that were close to 4 feet.
i wouldn't be surprised, especially in the wild - must've been impressive to see : victory:
It was not a Doradid, it was indeed Loricariidae and I'm positive of this. The term "Armored Catfish" refers to about 5 different gena, which is why i put it in quotes. We need to remember that minimum and maximum sizes are only what we have recorded and there is much more than what man has discovered in the vast unexplored wilderness, ESPECIALLY under water.

Fishing records are broken all the time, and what's even more out-of-place is that not all authentic specimens are accepted as viable record due to "lack of proof" . Just because the proof doesn't exist doesn't mean THEY don't exist. What WE need to remember is that fish are Ectotherms (cold-blooded) and like Reptiles and Amphibians, they grow their entire lives in one way or another. This world is full of surprises.
:2thumb:

·
Registered
835 Posts

Remember when we thought the Blue Whale was the largest animal that ever lived? Yea, that was until they discovered the Ultrasaurus skeleton. Remember when we thought Tyrannosaurus was the largest Carnosaur? Yea, then we discovered Spinosaurus aegypticus, Charcharadontosaurus and Gigantosaurus.

sorry, but if your going to get picky, so am i. firstly, im sure ultrasaurus is actually supersaurus, and is only 40 tonnes, nothing compared to the whale. also, gigantosaurus was a sauropod, giganotosaurus was the carnosaur.

also, i doubt that measurements would be out by 100%, and especially concidering you were in florida - loricariids are only found in South America.

Remember when we thought Liopleurodon was the largest pliosaur, and possibly largest predatory animal that lived in the ocean? yea, that was until they discovered that the average scull:body size ratio of pliosaurs was 1:7, not 1:11. This world is full of surprises.

·
Banned
950 Posts
sorry, but if your going to get picky, so am i. firstly, im sure ultrasaurus is actually supersaurus, and is only 40 tonnes, nothing compared to the whale. also, gigantosaurus was a sauropod, giganotosaurus was the carnosaur.

also, i doubt that measurements would be out by 100%, and especially concidering you were in florida - loricariids are only found in South America.

Remember when we thought Liopleurodon was the largest pliosaur, and possibly largest predatory animal that lived in the ocean? yea, that was until they discovered that the average scull:body size ratio of pliosaurs was 1:7, not 1:11. This world is full of surprises.

What exactly was the point of your last post? Loricariidae have been INTRODUCED to waters all over Florida and are a real threat to the environment. It seems Nile and Savannah Monitor lizards are only found in African but that doesn't stop them from terrorizing the Everglades ecosystem, same with Burmese Pythons. It seems you are getting arguemenative and looking for a problem. I don't want that, and I was just relaying the factual information that I am aware of. If you'd like to be particular about spelling, perhaps a Vocabulary Website is where you belong, rather. Considering from your last post your are not exactly Mr. Current Affairs, I am done with both you AND this thread as whole, so have fun argueing with yourself, Good DAY, Sir.

btw, you mis-spelled "Skull"

·
Registered
835 Posts
What exactly was the point of your last post? Loricariidae have been INTRODUCED to waters all over Florida and are a real threat to the environment. It seems Nile and Savannah Monitor lizards are only found in African but that doesn't stop them from terrorizing the Everglades ecosystem, same with Burmese Pythons. It seems you are getting arguemenative and looking for a problem. I don't want that, and I was just relaying the factual information that I am aware of. If you'd like to be particular about spelling, perhaps a Vocabulary Website is where you belong, rather. Considering from your last post your are not exactly Mr. Current Affairs, I am done with both you AND this thread as whole, so have fun argueing with yourself, Good DAY, Sir.

btw, you mis-spelled "Skull"
ooh!

im not an argumentative person, i just found your posts arrogant to be honest, and was simply replying to you. and i didnt see much point of your post, other than that of trying to show yourself up or to start an argument. and that spelling was rather important, just to let you know - the difference between two entirely different creatures. but i dont want to argue - this forum is a freindly place, and not one for people to try and show their 'knowledge' and 'understanding'.
Good DAY, Sir.

btw, you mis-spelled 'arguing'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.