Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the pet shop today and came across these little guys.
They are marked up as desert corn snakes (lol)

Sorry for the bad pics, taken on the phone

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Could it be a texas rat snake?
Possibly a grey rat snake?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
its a diadem racer...Spalerosophis sp.

fantastic, stunning snakes.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Well guys we were all wrong. :lol2:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
This is the pair I used to have; Graham on the forum has them now (not sure of his forum name off the top of my head...)

Sorry the pics are a bit dark...

Male:

Female:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
female was in shed at the time too...typical!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
:2thumb:Aw theyre nice looking snakes.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
its a diadem racer...Spalerosophis sp.

fantastic, stunning snakes.
Agreed, probably S. cliffordi.
This is the pair I used to have; Graham on the forum has them now (not sure of his forum name off the top of my head...)
She was in the blue last weekend so if she's gravid it's her pre-laying slough. Will let you know how it goes.
Graham.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Arent desert corns supposed to be corn x pittuophis? Dont know what they would look like though. Those in the pic are nice looking snakes. How big do diadems grow?

·
Registered
385 Posts
very pretty, look similar to my northern pine

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Just seen a post elsewhere by the chap that bought them - "DraigGochHerp" he actually bought them from the guy who I sold them to. The chap realised they weren't for him and sold them around a week later.

DraigGochHerp had contacted me wanting the snakes just as I had sold them to the original chap; and it turns out afterwards that he knew the guy (Colin I think) and emailed me to say that he now had the pair. Lol!

They are gorgeous snakes, the pics don't do them justice. But aggressive blighters...Rear Fanged, mildly venemous. Very fast.

But a pleasure to keep all the same. Particularly good as training snakes for those looking to keep DWA species.

·
Registered
385 Posts
are they easy to get hold of or a bit of a hens teeth kinda snake?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Ahh, you beat me to it! Lol...

Thought you may spot this post at some point Graham...

Best of luck, fingers crossed she is gravid!

The one in the pic may be a corn hybrid, the head certainly looks 100% diadem to me though; along with the markings.

They reach around 3-4foot max generally; so only little snakes.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If these are fast rear fanged snakes then shouldnt someone make the pet store aware since they are selling them as corns?
Some kid may come along for their first ever snake - a corn and end up with a racer!:bash:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Agreed...they should be made aware. As Grannykins mentioned, it may be a hybrid...but by the look of its head its a pure diadem.

Even if it was a hybrid it shouldn't be sold as a corn of any sort; and the customers must be made well aware of its history. I'm not sure about venemous hybrids; but it may be that the offspring from a diadem/corn breeding take on the rear fanged/mildly venomous(ness) of the diadem parent.

It may have been that the original poster fancied it; and had he not posted on here he may well have bought it as a corn unaware of its nature!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It may have been that the original poster fancied it; and had he not posted on here he may well have bought it as a corn unaware of its nature!

Na i didnt buy it mate, i just didnt want someone buying it not knowing what it was

When i was in there i said im pretty sure its rear fanged, but i aint got any experiance with them my self so i wanted to check:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If these are fast rear fanged snakes then shouldnt someone make the pet store aware since they are selling them as corns?
Some kid may come along for their first ever snake - a corn and end up with a racer!:bash:
Ive already tryed to call but no ones there.
Gonna call 2moro and let them know and ill be going down there to check its been done: victory:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts