Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wen to a local shop today and saw a royal python which looked pale in the body and called "Hypomelanistic caramel".

What do you think? Is it special? or What is it? any idea?

I am not a huge fan of royal pythons. Any morph. If you give me a piebald python, I won't keep it. I would sell it and get money and buy an albino dwarf retic. lol

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
ye hypo caramel i would say...how much is it....converted into £...

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ye hypo caramel i would say...how much is it....converted into £...

well, as you know i am not intersted in them. so i took a photo but do not remember the price. but I think it was same price with general caramel.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
It looks like a hypomelanistic of some sort, but it is not a "caramel" in the terms I'm familiar with in royals (Caramel albino). As far as I know there isn't a "caramel" in royals that is NOT Caramel Albino.

Certainly it's not a normal... but I couldn't tell you exactly what gene it does carry.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
pretty sure there is a caremel...
also it could be HYPO Caremel even if there is no just Caremel...there is Glow Caremals etc

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
according to thr shop owner, says this royal came from us with the name "caramel". but been attached a notice like "but..not sure.." lol

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
pretty sure there is a caremel...
also it could be HYPO Caremel even if there is no just Caremel...there is Glow Caremals etc
All the references I can find to the word caramel in royal pythons are "caramel albinos" - which are the tyrosinase positive albinos that produce caramel-brown pigment. You can get Caramel Glows - which are "caramel albino" + Coral Glow (and are thus a combination morph). I cannot find any reliable breeders' references to Caramel Hypos or Hypo Caramels in royal pythons. There is a "caramel" in corn snakes, but that's not the same thing :)

Though, looking at the photos on NERD... it COULD be a caramel albino, actually. It doesn't look like the ones I'd seen on Crystal Palace Reptiles - but maybe they're just really pretty ones... the ones on NERD here look very similar: NERD - New England Reptile Distributors - Caramel/T+ Albino

I'm still not totally sure, mind you.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
All the references I can find to the word caramel in royal pythons are "caramel albinos" - which are the tyrosinase positive albinos that produce caramel-brown pigment. You can get Caramel Glows - which are "caramel albino" + Coral Glow (and are thus a combination morph). I cannot find any reliable breeders' references to Caramel Hypos or Hypo Caramels in royal pythons. There is a "caramel" in corn snakes, but that's not the same thing :)

Though, looking at the photos on NERD... it COULD be a caramel albino, actually. It doesn't look like the ones I'd seen on Crystal Palace Reptiles - but maybe they're just really pretty ones... the ones on NERD here look very similar: NERD - New England Reptile Distributors - Caramel/T+ Albino

I'm still not totally sure, mind you.
I'd agree a couple of the caramel albino's on the NERD link look similar. The hypo pastel on the same link also does though.

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
I wouldnt say it was caramel anything. It looks more like a ghost lesser or a ghost butter or something with the colouration. A caramel glow you were talking about is just a caramel albino crossed with a ghost. and wouldnt look like this.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I thought butter at first but checked on nerd and doesnt look like them there...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It looks like just a Caramel Albino to me, not a Caramel Glow (Caramel x Ghost). Its not a Butter because a Butter is very close to a Lesser Platinum.

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
I would say the blushing was far too dark for a caramel albino. Its def not caramel glow though.
Caramel albino

Caramel glow (caramel ALBINO x ghost)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Look at NERDS site at the picture of the hatchling and adult Caramels together, They get lighter as they get older.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hmm...interesting one and since it is a neonate distinguishing it makes it more difficult.

There certainly looks like there is some caramel in there but i'm not convinced.

My opinion, and that's all it is!, is that it's too dark to be butter, caramel or Desert Ghost for example.

Alternatives may be a Red Burgundy Hypo or possibly a pastel mojave (I have seen one that looked like this as a neonate).

Difficult to say really - frankly the shop shouldn't be selling an animal and giving it a label unless it has proof and I think this one looks a little small to be sold on.

Just mu opinion!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts