Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want to get a snake and im not sure which will be the best option, needs to be ok with a 5 year old, obviously my son wont be playing with it like he would a toy, and i also want something pretty, ive heard a python is good for 1st timers? any other suggestions please?
thanx x

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I personally dont think a Python is a good starter snake,others will probably disagree, but because of size it would have to be a Royal and some can be problem feeders and I personally think a bit more experiance is needed,I got my Royal 3 months after my Corn and it drove me mad when it decided not to eat for 5 weeks.
Most people will agree a Cornsnake is the best starter, they tame easily and are good with kids,and dont get too big.
Anyway, what ever you decide on good luck with it and try to post some pctures so we can all see it.
Oh and :welcome:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Go for a corn snake.
You couldn't even invent a better snake as a first snake - the vast majority feed well, tolerate regular handling without problem and as a species can be trusted far more than most snakes.
Also, their care requirements are about as basic as it gets with snakes.

You could go for a royal or a kingsnake, but if you want something that can be easily and reliably handled by a child (under supervision of course) then you can't do any better than a corn.

With kingsnakes, milksnakes and other types of rat snakes there's more chance that you'll get one that's a bit too lively, possibly even aggressive depending on species.
You could go for a royal python but they are by nature shy and often nervous and many don't take well to a lot of handling. With royals you run the risk of it being a problem feeder, which you don't really need the hassle and worry of with a first snake.

So I'd say definitely go for a corn.
If you get a hatchling just make sure it's already had a few feeds - some can be a problem to get feeding when they first hatch, but if you get one that's already started you shouldn't get any problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first snake was a grey banded kingsnake, as i wanted something a bit different from a corn snake. Having now owned a corn and a milk, i'd say there was very little difference between them as to which would have been easiest to own first. Therefore i'd simply do a bit of research into what colour or morph you prefer of either species and go for that.

As long as you go to a good breeder/shop then you should be OK. The first shop i went to had a reasonable number of older, "grown-on" snakes. I found one i was interested in and asked if i could handle it. The prompt response of "no, it bites" kinda put me off buying from there....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My daughter is 5 and has "her own" russian rat snake,as she likes mine!
They have a fantastic colour and one of the best temperaments i have ever come across,rivaling even the corn imo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think a corn is the answer then, thanx alot guys, im getting it before xmas and i will defo post pics
thanks again x

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i tell you what i usually sell to 1st timers... amels.. they love them, so bright and always nice and healthy.. great place to start.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
amels? well i sell at 20, you might be able to get a little less but 20 is about going rate.
colours vary, but mine ar very bright..
anyway, lol, dont think i'm pushing for a sale as i think my last one has just been reserved.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
You can look at Nige's site though has loads of piccies on there with the different morphs... obviously some more expensive than others :!:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
most of the ons on my site are quite cheap, the site hasnt been updated for years and the bloke that is doing it for me appears to have left planet earth. :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
cornmorphs said:
most of the ons on my site are quite cheap, the site hasnt been updated for years and the bloke that is doing it for me appears to have left planet earth. :lol:
You need someone to update it for you fella I'll do it... web developer by profession here!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
the problem i havemate, is he has all the codes for it etc.. i dont know much about it now.
i had it made by sue knight using weaver design,or something like that, and now this chap has been doing it for a while, although he hasnt really done anything this year.
all i need is to change the text in a few places and add quite a few pics, maybe take out a couple of the older ones.
can i get round this without codes? i presume not?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cornmorphs, what sort of deal could you offer me for a caramel or a white corn with the basic setup for a hatchling? bare in mind i live in sussex?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
cornmorphs said:
the problem i havemate, is he has all the codes for it etc.. i dont know much about it now.
i had it made by sue knight using weaver design,or something like that, and now this chap has been doing it for a while, although he hasnt really done anything this year.
all i need is to change the text in a few places and add quite a few pics, maybe take out a couple of the older ones.
can i get round this without codes? i presume not?
Think you mean Dreamweaver! lol.. No you'll need the site addy and passwords to upload content. You really only need three things

1) Where is your site hosted? Have you been paying for webspace? i.e pipex, global gold
2) username to your account
3) password to your account

I could probably teach you how to do most of it, its very easy believe me...

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
fluffyoxx said:
cornmorphs, what sort of deal could you offer me for a caramel or a white corn with the basic setup for a hatchling? bare in mind i live in sussex?
not sure i have everything for a set up, i could do the basics for less than a 5er probably, small viv upto a year old or so, waterbowl and hide (if i have any that didnt make it to ebay).
i dont have any normal caramels just motleys for £100 at the moment, but they are so worth it, they really are stunning.
a stat and mat on ebay would cost you less than £30, and that should be brand new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts