Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caresheets/books etc all seem to vary so much so what works best for all you Beardie keepers? Preferably the basking spot, hot end, cold end & night time temps you use, thanks :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hi Cara,

Here's how i have all my Beardie vivs temps setup:

Basking spot 100-110

Warm end ambient temp of 90

Cooler end at 80

At night i turn down the dimming stat to 70. Or you can use a heat mat?? on the warm end for night times? It's up to you really.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It seems to vary with age.. baby beardies seem to enjoy higher temperatures fo about 110 but also benefit from a slightly lower surface which only reaches say 100 so they can still bask once they've had enough of the real high temps :)
Adults don't seem to enjoy such high temps 95 is the lowest the basking temp should be and they don't really enjoy it any higher than 105. Cool end temps should be around 75-85.
Night time temps can go as low as 65 with out any problems, so as long as your house isn't extremely cold you really don't need any heating at night :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i have a hot spot of 110 F a warm end of around 90 F and a cool end of around 80-85 F, i dont have any night time heat because my house is always bloody hot, being a middle terrace with central heating.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
we have basking areas from 100-120, with temperature gradually going down from there to 80 degrees.
Night time between 68-72 [room temp, plus a heatmat at bottom of 6 foot high viv so dont do a great deal]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmm.. 100-120 seems a bit much, there have been studies carried to see what temp beardies need. Below about 94/95 they struggle to digest they're food and young dragons kept under 100 are normally a bit slugish. Up to 110 they are fine but once they reach about 114/115 they start showing signs of heat strain but still manage to regulate temps but a small raise of 3 or 4 degrees can kill your dragon.. a lot of the adult dragons starting fitting or simply not being able to move once temps reached 117/118 so IMO the best temp is about 100-105. Quite a horrible study to carry out but it has helped to show what temps are ideal.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
we dont have a hole viv at 120.. if they dont like the heat they can move, they have plenty of room to do so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The problem is with a basking temp of 120 is that even 110 high enought to cause damage BUT it is low enough for them to move without problem if they get too hot. Being 120 it can stop them being able to move from the basking spot when they start over heating because the affects are too severe and set in too quick.. if that makes sense :?
If this temp works for you, then don't let me stop you however this is just what I have heard and wouldn't fancy risking it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
thats cool man.
Yeh the temps work very well.
Have never had a problem and dont imagine i ever will with it.
I go by the rule of the higher the hottest part, the more cool part there should be inc cooler than usual cool end.
our temps range from 70-120 in a 6x4x4 viv.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As long as they have a gradient, they can choose their own ideal temp.

I kept mine with cool end 80 ish and hot spot went up to 120 in mid summer.
They were fine, infact better than fine, they did really well this year.

remember Ozzie desert will hit very high temps.

dunno if it would get to 120 but wouldn't be suprised if it did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts