Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am after some opinions on this. I know what all the care sheets etc say but I am more after opinions of those of you that keep these snakes.

I have 2 yearling anerys, 2 18 month old miamis, a 5 month old snow, amel and crimson.

I also have a baby boa contrictor, a 2 year old royal and a 5ft gopher snake.

I am also buying 2 100% het for Piedbald Royals.

I am going to have vivs built for them all as half of the corns are in vivs and half are in tubs (smaller ones). The boa is in a faunarium, the royal is in a nice viv and the gopher is in a big corner viv.

However now I want all my snakes to be in the same area.

I would ideally like the vivs to be an adequate size for them as adults, a 'home for life'.

I fully understand that snakes in general don't like open space but my snakes are all VERY open to being out on display and eat without fail, so these vivs will have plenty of hides etc, but with lots of room.

So the ultimate question, a viv for life for a corn, a royal, a 5ft gopher and a boa what size would they be?

2ft?

3ft?

4ft?

5ft?

6ft?

Other?

I look forward to your opinions!

Many Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
352 Posts
There does appear to be many different rules to determin size of viv.

The one I have chosen which works well for me is the total square footage of the viv should be equal to or exceed the adult length of the snake (again in feet).

For example my 4' x 2' x 2' has a footprint of 8 square feet. This exceeds the adult length of my snakes.

hth

os

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Fully grown Corns & Royals are generally happy in 3*2*2 ft vivs' (well mine are anyway). Using osmotics rule I have 6ft of floor space, my corn is 3ft and royal just over 4ft so they still have plenty of room! :wink:

I would say the min' required for an adult boa is a 4*2*2ft viv though. Depending how big it grow you may need a bigger viv, planning on 5-6ft vivs for mine

·
Registered
176 Posts
ian york built 3 8ft vivs on a stack for his boas, which is ideal, but around a 6x2x2 i think would be fine for most boas like gaz said.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
For the corns and Royals, 3ft vivs. My corns tank is only 12" deep, and she's quite happy, but the new viv's I'm building are 17" deep to give more space. The extra few inches depth would be needed for the royals.

You may be able to get away with 2ft x 2ft vivs for the corns, unless they are 5ft+?

I thought Gophers were bigger than 5ft, so would have planned for a 4ft viv. Is yours fully grown?

Boa - min 4 x 2 x 2 for a male. 6 x 2 x 2 for a big one or a female.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Ok, how about a stack, 6ft by 2ft, each level 1ft high exept the bottom (2ft)

Level 1 - 6ft viv (Boa)
2 - 2 x 3ft (Royals)
3 - 2 x 3ft (Royal / Biggest Corn)
4 - 4ft and 2 ft (Gopher / Corn)
5 - 3 x 2ft (Corns)
6 - 3 x 2 ft (Corns)

There, 7 ft tall, with 1 spare 2 ft viv. Did I cover all your snakes?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Or - put the gopher in the 3ft, all corns in 2 x 2 ft vivs, and get a second boa for the 4ft!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Morts said:
Where can you buy a stack from?
You can buy stacks of tubs, or vivs from somewhere like vivbuilder.co.uk, but for that many viv's, you'd be better off building them yourself.

Unless you own a money tree :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got a female Royal and want to get a male to pair her up with, what would be the minimum sized viv to have a pair in? i've currently got a 36" viv and i'm guessing this probably isn't big enough?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts