Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a gecko or a beardie, but my parents aren't too keen.
I have looked after pets before but i'm trying to work out a way to help them see that i could look after a lizard.

any suggestions?

Zack.

·
Registered
295 Posts
LOL i need the same thing just for snakes.

I had trouble getting my lizard, my mum thought i was kidding until she got woken up at 7am to a parcel on the door containing my lizard.

I proved to her im responcible about keeping animals rather than a 5 minute wonder by being a fish keeper for probably 3 years now. So as the lizard doesnt put her out of pocket shes not to worried.

Try say to them that theyre alright dont do this and that... basically make them sound AMAZING rather than bringing up bad points... BUT THERE ARE NONE :p part from poo picking and crickets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. 4 of my cousins have a beardie, one of them is selling his. I had fish in my room for 5 years until they went into my little brothers room. The one main problem is that we go away too often, but my mum also hates the smell. My dad doesn't really care for animals around the house so its going to be interesting..

Zack.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
if you go away alot then a bd probably isnt a good choice, they need daily feeding as babies and wont like being on its own for a long time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, I 've got to agree with Mark, I have a male beardy, just over a year old, he was my 1st reptile, and yes, they take up a lot of time, and dedication, the set up can be expensive, they need to be fed/watered daily, as well as poo picking, and the temps and light need to be on at the right times etc. HOWEVER, beardies are great first reptiles, and will give you hours of happiness and fun. I will never stop having them!

·
Registered
291 Posts
She must go out? What about when she goes on holiday, that is another great classic lol.

My brother and I did the same with a pool table :wink:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
he should be worrying about if he can look after it, not how to get it in the house, what happens to it if he gets it home and his mum tells him to get rid of it,its another rescue job.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
trust me, if your parents don't want an animal in the house, going out and buying it anyway will not help at all. I know this from experience :D

Convince them to go to the reptile shop with you, and show them the lizard you are after. Get them to speak to someone in the shop.

My mum was against me getting my geckos. i took her into the reptile shop and persuaded her, and about 4 months later she came home with her own viv and two leopard geckos. Luckily for me my mum likes animals.

·
Registered
250 Posts
just keep mythering them all the time. save up and have the money ready, do some research and tell them all the good points and hide the bad ones ;)

thats what i did mate i got my BD now im working on leopard geckos so ill try again hehehe

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't advise to just tell your parents the good points & skip the bad ones. If you're ever ill or away on holidays, it'll probably be your parents taking care of the lizard/s so best be sure they know exactly what's involved IMO.

Honesty is the best policy as they say :wink:

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Join a local reptile society, go to the meetings, learn about the different animals

Many societies have public shows, get you parents to visit one.

This will all show you are committed.

If at the end of the day they still say no and cite good reason, which they seem to have at the moment, then face facts, you will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
This post is making me giggle. :lol:

I must be a really bad mum.... I'm the one persuading my kids to have beardies for christmas (guess who's more excited!!!)

However on a slightly more serious note I do know that most (if not all) of the care for these reptiles will fall on me - as both my kids are still pretty young.

I was amazed when I started my research, just how much care and attention these creatures are going to need, and how much they are going to cost.
It's a huge commitment. (chances are any vet bills are gonna be huge aswell)

If all else fails try Asking for a Nintedo - I'm determined my kids won't sit around playing computer games all day - so beardies it is!!!!!!

Janine.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
You did say it was your cousin selling you a beardie - now that may work out well because your mum might think if it doesn't work out it can go back to the cousin - then she could fall in love with it and not want it to leave the house (happened to me LOL!) I've been guilty of smuggling snakes into the house before now - but then I'm allowed to do that I'm a mom :lol: but hubby doesn't like them.

As for the nintendo vs dragon thing - my beardie used to love watching me play on the playstation with all the fast moving action :D
so you could have your cake AND eat it :wink:

·
Banned
163 Posts
with leo's there isn't really any bad points except the tail falling off they dont need uv light and r relativly cheap but if u choose a lizard that has a few bad points just get a caresheet copy and paste into word then cut out the bad points thats what my cousin done for his con he just cut out the possibility it gets to 4ft lol

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
when i finally decided i wanted to get a snake i told my parents i was getting one, they weren't happy about it, but when i spoke about what i'd need, how to look after etc, they respected that i did all the research, plus seeing as i was paying they really didn't have much of a voice in the matter. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remember Zack. You have to prove that you're responsible enough and that you know exactly what you're doing. It may take a little time to show how much you can take the challenge under your wing. Just remember, even when you get the lizard, you always need patience!!

Tommy.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
a nice small gecko thats easy to look after are the Stenodactylus a couple in a viv are really comfortable, are really small with the largest sub species growing to no more the 5 inches head to tail (Stenodactylus petrii). There a really easy gecko to look after especially if ur pushed for space and are amazing to watch. However finding a breader is a bit more challanging though fingers crossed mine will soon (Stenodactylus petrii).

Spike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts