Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
How old are they?
Might be better to give it a few more weeks, they all have stunning markings, one looks like a leather back but others appear to have normal scales. Colours will change a bit yet i would imagine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old are they?
Might be better to give it a few more weeks, they all have stunning markings, one looks like a leather back but others appear to have normal scales. Colours will change a bit yet i would imagine.
Thanks they are about 4 weeks at the moment

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Well its the one in the last pic that looks like its scales are reduced in size, but this could also just be where its wet and looks almost like its freshly shed?

If one of the parents is a normal scale then im not sure if you can get any leatherbacks in its offspring unless its carrying the gene (Heterozygous or Het for short).

At 4 weeks i would think theres a lot of change to come yet, with each shed you will likely notice the colouration changing, sandfires are a mix of genetics themselves, bred by an american breeder.
I'm guessing they'll end up with quite heavy amounts of red to them, and depending on whats lurking in the sandfires genetics you may have some also expressing hypomelanism or translucent traits.

Id honestly say wait another month then have a look at things like the eye colour, whether claws are opaque/pale brown and see how their colours have come through. then you might have more clues to tell you what they are :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts