Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large viv and the guy at the pet shop keeps saying I shud get a male to go with her so I am wondering what would be best ..

she is a jungle jag , very friendly :) just over 6 foot

I like her colouring shes very pretty she was with a male but he was aggressive (fine with her but aggressive to handle)

·
Registered
523 Posts
if your after breeding him then your going to have to get him in. you could try using a hook or failing that put a pillow case in his tank with the opening to the case open, wait for him to crawl in then wham ya problem solved

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
male has gone .... he was a iran Jaya and yes we had to always handle with the hook and pillow case lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
If its jungle x jag then avoid pairing with another jag carrier, jag x jag can produce lethal babies (The "Super" Jag form causes pure white babies that don't survive long if they do at all).

Its not to say every baby will die, but the ones that get the super form will, and I doubt its pleasant.

You'll still be able to see jag influence on patterning, Jag will be passed through from the sole parent carrying it, and its pretty harmless in that form aside from some (usually) mild neurological issues like headwobbling and some balance issues (Which are pretty funny after you've seen it a few times).

Personally I'd throw some more jungle in there, our jag is crossed with a bunch of things, but Jag is predominant in patterning, yours has a really cool contrast towards the bottom with those really thick saddles. I'd bet throwing some jungle in there would keep some of that thickness in the saddles, its pretty unique looking (At least, I've not seen a carpet like that before) so should produce some lovely babies.

Also, bear in mind the locality of the snake you're breeding, you've got jungle x jag which is effectively a 5-7 foot snake crossed with a 6-9 (maybe 10?) footer, as Jungle is a locality (the 5-7ft) and Jag is a morph of the Coastal Locality (the 6-9/10fter) you're going to get some slightly random size going on if you start adding smaller species you'll increase the range.

Personally I've no problem with it, but our local shops get irritated by it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
our local shop has offered to take on anything that is produced as long as its good quality

I am good with her care feeding ect but breeding is new to me

any advice is taken very happily ... altho I am not 100% if I want to go ahead and do it ..

pet shop has said they will take the eggs and incubate them for us

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
a nice jungle, a nice diamond jungle, a caramel, a zebra........

anything would go nice as its a nice jag, depends what your budget is as much as anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to go over £250 max , willing to pay up to this for a Friendly snake that has proven itself in the past

the viv is huge so loads of room

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
I don't want to go over £250 max , willing to pay up to this for a Friendly snake that has proven itself in the past

the viv is huge so loads of room
if you are looking for a proven breeder male then you aren't going to get a lot for that money in all honesty, you best bet would be to get the best jungle you can I would say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts