Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you would give an honest and accurate figure of animals you have?would you hide them? deny youve got them? or only show 1 of a breed deliberatley missing out youve got another 1-500 that looks identical,i honestly cant see how theyd be able to enforce this law if it went through

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i've only got one snake anyway:lol2:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Its a licence and if registering them means keeping them then its got to be done : victory:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Honestly doubt it ever will but if they asked I would tell them everything, once they had been round just my local area they would see how many of them there is. Thats a lot of people who vote, do they really want to annoy us all?? I mean I know there are 6 rep keepers in my street alone. My neighbours dont even known I own any!! Just hope they didnt want an update everytime my numbers changed, they would get well annoyed with me every breeding season, then selling hatchlings, then selling off unwanted adults, it never really stops with the coming and going.:lol2:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
These animal organisations are warming to exotic animals, I doubt it will ever happen. The RSPCA also had nothing bad to say about the cat situation.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly doubt it ever will but if they asked I would tell them everything, once they had been round just my local area they would see how many of them there is. Thats a lot of people who vote, do they really want to annoy us all?? I mean I know there are 6 rep keepers in my street alone. My neighbours dont even known I own any!! Just hope they didnt want an update everytime my numbers changed, they would get well annoyed with me every breeding season, then selling hatchlings, then selling off unwanted adults, it never really stops with the coming and going.:lol2:
yeah it would deff get complicated ,,,,if it only applied to larger breeds i still think theyd have majors probs getting ppl to admit theyve got them

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I wouldn't, nor will I if it comes into force. I can quite easily hide them, my neighbours didn't know I had any till yesterday when I walked outside with my Royal round my neck

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These animal organisations are warming to exotic animals, I doubt it will ever happen. The RSPCA also had nothing bad to say about the cat situation.
i hope it will never happen,but florida event is still fresh in ppls minds and now the moggy brigade are gonna create a fuss,no telling really with our goverment,they seem to do whatever is expected of them from the whingers,seems yet again 1 or 2 irresponsible keepers give rest of us bad press

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
i hope it will never happen,but florida event is still fresh in ppls minds and now the moggy brigade are gonna create a fuss,no telling really with our goverment,they seem to do whatever is expected of them from the whingers,seems yet again 1 or 2 irresponsible keepers give rest of us bad press
People forget that in Florida they have the perfect conditions for snakes. We, on the other hand, live in a cold country. Airdrie is 10 degrees south of the Arctic Circle! If snakes do get into the wild, then they'll most likely die in a very short space of time. There'd be no way they could be wild/feral populations like there are in Florida

If it comes to it we should start a counter petition

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Like most I can't see this ever really becoming law I know i couldnt lie about what I have as i regularly get the RSPCA on my doorstep wanting to know how the pets are doing and everyone in the neighbourhood knows that i keep reps of different species. But I do agree with the comment that once again one or two irresponsible owners are giving the rest of us a bad name.I still would not want to register all my reps as i regualry take on rehomes from locals who for whatever reason need a home quickly and then after getting them back to top form rehome them to other local keepers who are willing to take them on even if i only do this on a very small scale it still hasnt stopped me taking on yet another rep this week.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i cant ever see this law coming into affect but if it did i would probably have no choice but to hide
if they put large snakes on the dwa i couldn't get the licence only being 17
and any other law they made up would probably have an age limit that I'm under

so my burm would have to be hidden

·
Registered
113 Posts
how many of you would give an honest and accurate figure of animals you have?would you hide them? deny youve got them? or only show 1 of a breed deliberatley missing out youve got another 1-500 that looks identical,i honestly cant see how theyd be able to enforce this law if it went through
I think the large snakes like burmese, reticulated ect should be treated in a similar way that they treat dangerous dogs (pitbulls ect) already. The male snakes should be neutered and both sexes registered and you will require a license to breed and sell them and may not give them as gifts. Penalty for illegal possesion being a fine of up to £5000 or 6 months inprisonment with the snake possibly being destroyed.

As to hiding them, I'd ask why people would do that? Perhaps one reason which I've witnessed on many occasions is that most people keep them in sub standard cramped conditions. Most of these people already know what they're doing and realize they would lose their animals if someone from the authorities got a butchers at their setups. Anyone who keeps their Burmese under good healthy conditions and handles it properly would have no reason to hide it from the authorities.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Personally I also think that large snakes should be DWA. That would ensure that you couldn't just go into a pet shop and buy one on a whim, and people couldn't use them as ego extenders. The snakes would live with people who knew how to look after them properly and they would get the care they need. The DWA or special big-snake license (sp?) or whatever should be done on a test and vet referral system, ensuring that people had also had snake experience before getting a large snake.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I dont think

you can ignore the possibility of exotics being licenced. Many people in my industry never thought the Dangerous Dog Law would be passed and it was. In practice the Dangerous Dog Law is not enforcable . Sorry but one or two incidents and the gut reaction is ban or licence snakes.......sorry but that is stupid . When will people learn it is not the species or breed it is the deed and with every incident the true culprit the owners should be dealt with. There should never be a blanket law passed that owner responsible owners abide by. As the people it is intended to stop will just ignore it and carry on anyway.

DEED NOT BREED

·
Registered
815 Posts
They'll make us register ourselves first. ID cards and other expensive nonsense will be ahead of counting the snakes on the government's agenda... and the next government will be too busy running around changing things that the last government has implemented to remember.

Terrifying, deadly reptiles in the news is a flash in the pan that subsides - unlucky we've had two high-profile stories in a short space of time, but the sheer logistics of registering reptiles, including expense, will preclude it.

If it was possible, they'd have brought it back with all dogs (licensing), and they haven't had the urge to do that... it'll be fine.

On another note, my cat killed a weasel yesterday. Not a mark on her. Weasel obliterated. Ok she probably wouldn't see the strike of a burm coming, but she's one nasty cat. Just thought I'd warn any big snakes...

·
Registered
366 Posts
DEED NOT BREED
Most definitely. I do think there needs a way to make sure that irresponsible owners dont have any animal - be it dog, snake or gerbil. I would be happy to take a test to keep my snakes/dogs if it meant that one animals life could be saved from being kept badly by some pillock.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the large snakes like burmese, reticulated ect should be treated in a similar way that they treat dangerous dogs (pitbulls ect) already. The male snakes should be neutered and both sexes registered and you will require a license to breed and sell them and may not give them as gifts. Penalty for illegal possesion being a fine of up to £5000 or 6 months inprisonment with the snake possibly being destroyed.

As to hiding them, I'd ask why people would do that? Perhaps one reason which I've witnessed on many occasions is that most people keep them in sub standard cramped conditions. Most of these people already know what they're doing and realize they would lose their animals if someone from the authorities got a butchers at their setups. Anyone who keeps their Burmese under good healthy conditions and handles it properly would have no reason to hide it from the authorities.

Just my opinion.
i must admit imo it is a good idea to have registers etc for the oversized snakes,which hopefully would prevent a complete novice from being able to walk into a shop and buying a burm eg,if an age limit was put in force i could see the younger keepers hiding what snakes they have rather than risk losing them,i personally wouldnt hide my snakes but i can understand the fear of other owners who are worried due to age etc that they may lose some/all of there collection

·
Registered
113 Posts
i must admit imo it is a good idea to have registers etc for the oversized snakes,which hopefully would prevent a complete novice from being able to walk into a shop and buying a burm eg,if an age limit was put in force i could see the younger keepers hiding what snakes they have rather than risk losing them,i personally wouldnt hide my snakes but i can understand the fear of other owners who are worried due to age etc that they may lose some/all of there collection
I agree, though I don't see why the parents wouldn't register it in their name under those conditions. Since if the owner is a child, ultimate responsibility for the animal lies with the parents register or no register.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts