Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I have had power cut from my house a few times.
Mainly because of the extension being sorted etc. A few different reasons for it..
But I made sure the cut wasnt for too long. And the reptiles didn't seem disturbed by the reduction in heat.

Keep some disposable heat pads available incase?

·
Registered
976 Posts
With the old back boiler you could just put the central heating on,But with this new combi boiler if the electric goes then so does that,

The gas fire still works ok though so i would just use that in the living room,

My reps are getting moved into the shed when i have it finished, So i already have a calor gas heater on the ready incase such a thing should happen.

I also have just a cheapo generator which will do the trick and has been used before in such emergencies so we can still have lighting.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
hmm just thought about the hot water bottle thing it would only work if you have gas hobs and not crappy electric ones :lol2:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
hot water bottles are the easiest way to be honest!
A UPS is easier, i have mine hooked up to an uninteruptable power supply designed for use with PC equiptment. I have around 24 hours of power on my heat matts in case of a power cut. Its basically a battery thats plugged up to the mains, your electrical goods run of it and if there's a power cut or anything it just runs off the battery without interuption.

We get them rarely but when we do, everything goes off except the vivs heat source, laptops and a few others bits and bobs we have an UPS's.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
well only stupid people have electric hobs to be honest! :lol2:
eh cheeky sod!!! nowt wrong with my hob!:lol2:

i cant afford gas-electrics cheaper

i use those hot packs that have the metal thing in you click.either that or stick them in the car and whack the heaters on.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It wasnt that long ago we had the power cuts for 3 days and some others around here had them for a week,(due to flooding),

so with the gas heater and the genny i am sorted just incase,

But just incase i could always rig something up to the mouse cage(wheel) and have a dynamo going as a extra safeguard :lol2:.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That is a great question btw!!

I use one of those gas fire thingyes that you put the bottle of gas in the back of(we call them calor gas fires here, but I'm sure they are something else on the mainland). Basically, you can't have all the different varient species temps you would aim for in all the vivs, so I draw the blinds and curtains, and try to make the room temp the same as it would be at night.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
We have an emergency generator, along with a camping stove for heating water for hot water bottles, and spare duvets to put over all of the vivariums. We have been without power for 2 days before, and I'm pretty sure that none of them even noticed!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've got two petrol cookers with two burners each, so as long as I can find petrol, I'm okay for heating water for water bottles!!! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
572 Posts
lol our electric is on a key meter and im always forgetting 2 get electric for it untill it goes... we've had power cuts too, my reps have always been perfectly fine. i was a bit worried once tho with a baby boa i had so i put it in a pillow case, got in my bed and put it on my stomach lol, she was fine

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have a "Top Power - Jump Start" that can run up to 30 hours and power a small heater or a room full of heat mats.
These cost around £50 but I got one in a sale for £19.99
They can start you car if the battery dies or run 240volt appliances for up to 30 hours between recharges.

I also have a backup silent petrol genertaor ( 2.2 KW) if things are down for more than a few hours.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 23 Posts