Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you had a reticulated python or anaconda where would you keep it. I like the idea of putting it in my backgarden or sumin lol

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Hi tom

personally I wouldnt keep one as too big for me and in are climate the garden wouldnt be the best place either. You probably should of explained more how you would keep it, secure, heating etc etc and you might not have got the reply's you did. :)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
That's an interesting question. If I had a 'giant constrictor' of any species, I'd have to convert my garage into a heated, insulated reptile house.

Now, we ARE considering building an outdoor pen for our tegu to go out in during the summertime.... on the idea that real summer sun has got to be better than any amount of artificial UV bulb.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i think he ay mean is some kind of heated shed/enclosure. well i hope to god he did.

on that thought i need to buy a better fence for my burm :crazy: or i could always put up a barbed wire mesh, that should keep her in :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't call me an idiot, im not getting anaconda or reticutlated python i'm only 16 can you see my mum or dad converting our back garden into a swamp NO. i just thought i would bring it up to see if any1 has anaconda or python because i have seen a few ppl interested in them.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
don't call me an idiot, im not getting anaconda or reticutlated python i'm only 16 can you see my mum or dad converting our back garden into a swamp NO. i just thought i would bring it up to see if any1 has anaconda or python because i have seen a few ppl interested in them.
personally i think he was quite harsh (reticulatus) as there is no call for that...but it was a strange question to ask...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i'm only 16 atm, and i have a burmese python.
if you had worded the questionbetter then you wouldnt have got the replies that you did.

what would you say if somone posted "how do you guys keep your beardies, do you fill you bedroom with sand?" :lol2:
in seriousness, my burm is a baby now, and is in a normal 4' viv, but i have got plans for a 6x4x4 viv to keep her for a few years. and if she outgrows that, i will extend the viv to 8', or 6' square.

as for a retic, or a conda, you'd probably need a room conversion to keep them happy, which i may do when i move out .

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Does anybody actually keep Retics or Green condas in room conversions? Im genuinely interested :lol:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know i can come out with some stupid questions, but when something pops into my head i always ask. But with bearded dragons, they don't exactly grow over 30 feet in length do they lol. Imagine having the idea of your anaconda excaping and you waking up with it bed with you lol.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i've seen a few ppl on here interested in buying a reticulated python, but i don't think i would. Yellow anacondas seem to be quite popular as there is a breeder on uk pets classified who sells them. What gets me is he has a false water cobra for sale aswell. Nice to look at but imagine trying to hold it lol.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i've seen a few ppl on here interested in buying a reticulated python, but i don't think i would. Yellow anacondas seem to be quite popular as there is a breeder on uk pets classified who sells them. What gets me is he has a false water cobra for sale aswell. Nice to look at but imagine trying to hold it lol.
not trying to be rude, but if you do a little research you can easily find these answers. the FWC, or brazilian smooth snake can be quite a calm, and handlable snake.

also, if it is a visicous snake, it could join a breeding gorup/pair, or it cold be used by people such as myself, who want to gain expiriance in handling "hots", to eventually keep a DWA animal. of it could be used in a display vivarium, purly for watching.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I have a "few" retics, none live in anything bigger than an 8 foot viv. The majority live in 6x3x1.5 vivs and are perfectly happy.

I don't care how old you are, it make no difference at all.

BTW, i have never seen a retic over 25 feet (confirmed that is) and can only think of a handfull that are over 20.

·
Registered
846 Posts
never been a lover anaconda's so would never have one
i do like NERDS description of them though

" a variable species that can be either kitten tame or spastic chainsaw serpent(wildcaught,mishandled captives)"

·
Registered
990 Posts
retics in ya garden

I love the thought of large snakes being able to survive outside in this Country. There are quite a few cases of them going astray and surviving the summer months. Just to watch a Yellow Anaconda swim across a river instead of it being couped up in my 6' viv would be great. Where's my aerosol I'm gonna give the global warming a hand.:eek:oo:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I have a "few" retics, none live in anything bigger than an 8 foot viv. The majority live in 6x3x1.5 vivs and are perfectly happy.

I don't care how old you are, it make no difference at all.

BTW, i have never seen a retic over 25 feet (confirmed that is) and can only think of a handfull that are over 20.
nigel marvin, has a 26 footer, he took it on the TV awards, stressed the poor baby ot, dropped it and then the rspca made an investigaqtion.

what with that, and prehistoric park, i've lost all respect for him.

anyway back on topic, they wouldnt really need as much room as one might think, (cirtenly not as much as i thought)

nigel marvin has a 26' retic

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I'd like to know what the official length of that snake is - i can't find any official records for the longest snake in britain (or the world for that matter, although i suspect it's a burm).

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
i always thaught the longest confirmed retic was 33.3ft long cant back that up though to be honest, what makes you think a burm would be the biggest? they dont get anywhere near that length... do they, but im not an expert on burms by any means, what is the biggest recorded? i know someone that had a 17 footer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts