Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My Iguana looks like his ear is swollen and looks a little red. I've tried pushing down on his ear to see if it irrates or causes him pain and it feel hard and doesnt seem to bother him..
Does anyone have any idea what this may be? Im contemplating phoning the vet soon

Thanks

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Hi,
My Iguana looks like his ear is swollen and looks a little red. I've tried pushing down on his ear to see if it irrates or causes him pain and it feel hard and doesnt seem to bother him..
Does anyone have any idea what this may be? Im contemplating phoning the vet soon

Thanks
pics sometimes it is difficult to say for sure?
iguanas can tolerate alot of pain, I think this is because it dosent register with them straight away... kinda the same principal as keeping excessive amounts of heat being directly applied to them: victory:

I would see a vet nevertheless though.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my max last year.

Take him to a vet... it could be one of two things in my experience...
1. Ear swellings in green iguanas (iguana iguana) can be down to cryptosporidium, so he needs testing! This is obviously high risk, so vets ASAP... just incase (but its rare!)
2. The swelling is most likely caused by a bump, which has caused a build up of fluid. This will get worse if not seen by a vet, and put pressure on the side of his head. This is what happened to Max (Which was made worse by bad husbandry when he was younger, as his bones weren't great in density due to no supplementing/uv). If this is the case, your iggy will need to get the ear drained probably.

Heres the thread i made on max last year with pics of his ear.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/475279-iguana-ear-problem-help-2.html
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/484391-update-iguanas-ear.html

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my max last year.

Take him to a vet... it could be one of two things in my experience...
1. Ear swellings in green iguanas (iguana iguana) can be down to cryptosporidium, so he needs testing! This is obviously high risk, so vets ASAP... just incase (but its rare!)
2. The swelling is most likely caused by a bump, which has caused a build up of fluid. This will get worse if not seen by a vet, and put pressure on the side of his head. This is what happened to Max (Which was made worse by bad husbandry when he was younger, as his bones weren't great in density due to no supplementing/uv). If this is the case, your iggy will need to get the ear drained probably.

Heres the thread i made on max last year with pics of his ear.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/475279-iguana-ear-problem-help-2.html
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/484391-update-iguanas-ear.html
I assume afterward hes been fine since: victory:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Yes he's been fine. He was on antibiotics for about 6 weeks afterwards to keep infection away, but he's been on top form since. Touch wood thats the last problem we've had with him since we rescued him... and hopefully it'll stay that way (i mean with his health, not with the wounds he causes myself ;))

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Yes he's been fine. He was on antibiotics for about 6 weeks afterwards to keep infection away, but he's been on top form since. Touch wood thats the last problem we've had with him since we rescued him... and hopefully it'll stay that way (i mean with his health, not with the wounds he causes myself ;))
Aye lol sounds like he had a bad past :( it is a shame but as a door closes another one opens, glad hes okay and sorted now though...
the only real problem I had with yoda was his spikes, just turned out I misread smething on humidity and then he didnt have a good start in life with diet either but there we go :( but all sorted now though.... what ever things are with iguanas and concerning there owners I always say get in touch with a vet.

Good luck OP: victory:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

I took him to the vets and hes got mites.. so weve got this spray that we have to spray all over his viv and on him... and found out that he's a girl.. opps! :p

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Auw i hope your Ig gets better soon... I have to admit though, I did laugh when u said u were pressing down on it. The things we do to see if our pets are ok.... I would do the same! But what if it did hurt and LATCHED onto your finger :censor: that would hurt! As it would probably be one of those I am being eaten bites..... Not just a wee warning lol

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Thanks guys!

I took him to the vets and hes got mites.. so weve got this spray that we have to spray all over his viv and on him... and found out that he's a girl.. opps! :p

Thanks for the replys
Did the vet reckon the ear would swell up due to mites?
Never heard of that happening before, but theres a first for all I suppose. If its really inflamed i'd be getting a 2nd opinion personally.

But good you're getting the mites treated : victory:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Auw i hope your Ig gets better soon... I have to admit though, I did laugh when u said u were pressing down on it. The things we do to see if our pets are ok.... I would do the same! But what if it did hurt and LATCHED onto your finger :censor: that would hurt! As it would probably be one of those I am being eaten bites..... Not just a wee warning lol

Have you experienced this? I have... a hospital trip and a week later and it still wouldn't stop bleeding.....

But yes we pressed down on Max's ear when it inflamed, just gently. Its easy to distract an iguana... give it something else to bite instead. We prefer to use a towel to distract his mouth whilst inspecting.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Have you experienced this? I have... a hospital trip and a week later and it still wouldn't stop bleeding.....

But yes we pressed down on Max's ear when it inflamed, just gently. Its easy to distract an iguana... give it something else to bite instead. We prefer to use a towel to distract his mouth whilst inspecting.
I am fotunate enough not to have experienced it... I have had the oh i thought u were a piece of mango that u just fed me bite though lol.... My Ig does not really seem to bite knock on wood.... she's gaped at me but not really ever actually bite with intent.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts