Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting this iguana, does'nt sound like bloke knows what he's doing plus he's willing to take £50 for him so desperately wants rid, he says not that tame but at only about 2 ft he's only young so not worried about that, my problem is i want to get him out of there but don't have spare viv at mo or really funds to go out and buy new one what can i do any suggestions welcome... :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
do you have a spare area in your house a room? under the stairs that you could put some lights and vents into and can be a temp viv
manda xx

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dont want to sound moany but if you cant afford a new viv for him, then how are you going to afford a few bowl fulls of fresh veg a day? Any vet bills if hes been mistreated etc? Not moaning, just pointing things out which im sure you wold have thought of.

At two foot, i wouldnt wana pick an untame iguana up! My ones just over 3ft and he could seriously damage me big time the amount of power they have. Even at two foot, thats a big lizard to try and tame, but if u wana try it and think you can then go for it :D

Like manda said have you got a spair area in your house? If so you could fit UVs n heat bulbs and whatever else, but if hes not tame i wouldnt have him roaming in a room you use often as they really can take over a room, my lil Eddy has tried being the boss of my room already but i just put him back in his viv if hes naught lol

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i meant not be able to get viv today..and needed something as a stop gap, anyway have a very large indoor rabbit cage which i have managed to rig up with uv and heat bulb which actually works really well, stopped at tescos and stocked up on all the veggies that were in that wonderful list someone did for you jmj2k6, and went to get him he actually is in really good condition and is alot younger then i thought being just a baby really, his owners kept him in really good conditions, correct uv heat etc and nice and clean but i would say the problems arose as the viv was a exxo terra type one and as said although really clean etc i think this was just to intimadating for him as when you open doors there really not much room for him to move away from you and your hand has to really go in from above which was scary for him...seeing him like this and watching him whip i realised he was not nasty just a scared baby and the owners were in no way nasty to him just as said way viv is set out makes it intimadated, brought him home in cat carrier and i told my son that we would just take our time with him get him settled and place hand in slowly but not push, anyway after talk son opened cat carrier and proceeded to stroke hes chin (kids they never listen) and he loved it and is now up in his temporary home till viv gets sorted eating and generally looking great getting his chin rubbed, he is gorgeous a lovely bright green colour and i will get picis later.... :D so i am now the proud owner of a iguana oh and his name is iggy but would love to change if right name comes along suggestions welcome :wink:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey, nice one on rescuing him, just would like to point out that its really important when you build your viv for him that it is over 5 and a half feet tall and about 5 feet long and 4 feet wide,... it would be pointless to build something that is more wide then tall as iguanas love height more then anything.

If you ever watch an iguana for the day he wont just sit at the bottom of something... he will climb it and get to the highest point he can get to.

I went to a Indoor tropical garden and it had all these big trees like 100 feet high, right at the top of the biggest one there was an iguana just laying there taking in the heat from the sun.

The best thing you can do is get as much advice about iguanas as you can.

Like jmj2k6 said iguanas can still give you a whack even at 2 feet... I pissed my iguana off by accidentally standing on his tail and he whipped me, you would just assume that it would just be a little thing and won’t hurt. F*ck it hurt I had this mark on my arm for like 4 days, it really is like getting whipped by thin leather belt! But now he is fine! I gave him plenty of pats on the head for telling me off lol. That’s the only time he ever showed any aggression… who blames him someone chopped off half his tail! (re grown now though)

Anyway if you know iguanas there not like other reptiles... you might think oh I’ll just shove it in a viv with glass and he will be fine... that’s where the dog - iguana thing comes in... Would you put your dog in a glass viv? Look at your iguana and you will see how much they are really like dog they are smarter then your average lizard!

Glass and iguanas dont mix... but mesh or something that he can hear through and feel the air and smells is better...

Here is my iguana… in my signature this was about 2 months after we brought him… a bit thin still.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the well wishes and advice, they said he's male but i would say bit small to tell yet, got a few pics and i'll put them here has goes with thread (sorry T-bo), you can see his nice bright green colour as baby iggies should be, there afew bits of shed skin left on him which once he's setled in i'll give him a bath to sort out, please remember set-up just a short time solution i've actually been on phone to joiner freind and he's coming round this week to sort out a proper storage unit thats fixed to the wall where all other vivs and tanks can go and will have a nice tall bit at one end for iggy...

just so you can see temporary set-up, uv 5.0, 100watt heat bulb and he has been on log underneath basking...

just to comment on vet bill thing most people who know me on here know i've recently payed £500 in vets bills for my gecko so used to high bills and no animal of mine will suffer for sake of vets bill which is why all my reps are now insured and first thing tomorrow iggy will be too... :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
wow he is stunning just make sure u keep spraying him all the time as the temp viv wont hold the humidity he needs!!!
manda xx

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
cool he looks well cared for I reckon as long as theres a big enough water bowl in there he will be fine for a few days :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fill your bath tub with about 4 inches of warm water and let him swim around... he'll love that!

Food you bought.... pak choi.... romaine.... spring greens.... butternut squash...parsnip and a little carrot? should be ok for starters.

I've also found some of the iguana pellets you can buy mixed in through will increase the protein brasically.

He does look lovely.... as previously said humidity is going to be a hell of a task for you as is controling temps

Hope all goes well

Andy

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Have you any polystyrene to cover some of the sides and the top of the cage apart from where the bulb is? This might help keep the humidity in a little bit more.

Hes gorgeous. Congrats on getting him :D

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
congrats on your new baby! :)

Sexing a young iggy is virtually impossible until they are around 18 months old. If you look under the back legs there is a row of pores on the back of their thigh - females only have a few wheras males pores go right down to the knees.
This is a pic of Clydes leg, and you can see he's a boy!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
nicky said:
thanks for the well wishes and advice, they said he's male but i would say bit small to tell yet, got a few pics and i'll put them here has goes with thread (sorry T-bo), you can see his nice bright green colour as baby iggies should be, there afew bits of shed skin left on him which once he's setled in i'll give him a bath to sort out, please remember set-up just a short time solution i've actually been on phone to joiner freind and he's coming round this week to sort out a proper storage unit thats fixed to the wall where all other vivs and tanks can go and will have a nice tall bit at one end for iggy...

just so you can see temporary set-up, uv 5.0, 100watt heat bulb and he has been on log underneath basking...

just to comment on vet bill thing most people who know me on here know i've recently payed £500 in vets bills for my gecko so used to high bills and no animal of mine will suffer for sake of vets bill which is why all my reps are now insured and first thing tomorrow iggy will be too... :D

Just wanted to say that the iggie is beautiful and congrats on getting him/her! :D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just an update, he's had a bath this morning, he was'nt to sure about it but once calmed down gentle trickled water over him and my son worked off shed skin stuck round his spikes, wrapped him in towel then back to enclosure where i'd put is breakkie which was made up of grated butternut squash, rose petals and dandelion leaves (definately no pesticides in my garden) tossed in pure calcium powder he tuck straight in and seemed to love it......this afternoon hes spent time on mine sons lapped having the side of his chest rubbed and if joshua tryed to stop he moved against his hand as if to say carry on lol :lol: , so seems to have taken a real shine to joshua which is great.......... :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Awww... you seem to know what your doing there!

Nice iguana by the way he looks in good shape! I’m glad you have him before he might have gotten sold to someone who may of not taken as much care.

Good job on the iguana salad!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey again…

Your iguana for sure is male, the spines are long and the julep is quite big along with the large head scales.

In females the spines are smaller, the Julep is smaller and the large head scale is smaller too.

You don’t have to always check the plumbing to know the gender :p

Nice boy you have there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts