Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
College work, nothing more ;p

Just asking of knowledge of the bigger illegal acts going on in the reptile world which i could look into for the assignment.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
May be worth checking Customs and Excise websit e- they usually have details of the shipments they have seized?

Failing that, I will tyr to give Nerys or Rory a gentle nudge this way as they may have some useful links you could use :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
tbh hon, anyone who openly admits "knowledge of the bigger illegal acts going on in the reptile world" on a public forum.. has got to be one can short of the proverbial 6 pack !

tbh, the one of the biggest illegal act i can think of happening regularly, is the useage of Royal Mail to send reptiles from one end of the UK to the other, and in some cases from one country to another

there has been one girl on this forum recently who has openly admited to doing this. regardless of whether or not they are no better than TNT, the fact still remains that sending vertebrate animals via royal mail is not within the law.

for an assignment, you could contact all the people selling via here, via the free ads pages, via other sites.. and ask them what methods they would use to send reps. that would give you some research and stats on how many people do it.

yes, there are other areas where illegal things go on, 'smuggling' both into and out of the UK & buying, selling or keeping DWA speices with no DWA held are two you could look into.

here are some google hits for "smuggle snake" as you can see, its a global problem

smuggle snakes - Google Search

N

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
College work, nothing more ;p

Just asking of knowledge of the bigger illegal acts going on in the reptile world which i could look into for the assignment.
A few years back a book called "Animal Smugglers" came out which might give you some useful information. It is a bit dated now but the basic methods etc will still be in use.

Your library might be able to track down a copy for you.

Mark

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Does it have to be the reptile trade?

You could try looking into corruption of certain governmental departments say ten years ago.

You could look into corruption of some of the anti brigades.

You could look at corruption of certain institutions whom kid the general empathy voter.

If it has to be trade, you could indeed look at the smuggling game, this covers reptiles and beyond.

You could look into the illegal trade versus corruption of certain pharmaceutical companies and who they may supply.

Sadly the industry of animals is surrounded by illegal trade, corruption, blackmail, false imprisionments and so on.

R

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
need a box of snakes??....i mean CANDY... haha!:2thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tbh hon, anyone who openly admits "knowledge of the bigger illegal acts going on in the reptile world" on a public forum.. has got to be one can short of the proverbial 6 pack !
theres always one can in a 6 pack which splurts ;p worth a shot at out-cunning the guy/girl haha.

thanks for the info again though, im off to hunt some hunters. :whip:

il take a box of liquorice snakes. got red?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts