Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sorry, I already posted basically this exact message in the snakes forum, but I'm fairly desperate.

I'm pretty sure there is a slow worm loose in my flat, I found pieces of shed skin on the floor a couple of days ago but I've not been able to track down it's hiding place. I have no idea how it got in here but we have a large park next door where it probably came from and where I would be very happy to return it to. But how do I coax it out of hiding and catch it safely? I'm concerned that there's nothing here for it to eat and really don't want it to die behind a bookcase or anything. But then I also know it should be hibernating already, so I don't know if I should just let it sleep out the winter and deal with it in the spring?

Please help!

Thanks

D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hallo! It probably came in and thought it was a nice place to overwinter! if you come across it, might be worth putting in a secure tank until Spring and releasing then :) Can offer it a shallow dish of water once a week, but it probably wouldn't eat until next year. It may wake up periodically if your house is warm. Keep an eye out in anything it might have hidden in, like shoes, anything on the floor, etc. (Do you have any cats or anything that could have brought it in or has it come in on its own)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cats here, it came in all by itself! I'm on the 1st floor too, so I guess it must have been pretty determined. Makes a change from mice I suppose, and I'm hoping it might eat some of the spiders. I'll put some water out and see if it makes an appearance, someone else said to try putting flour down to track movements so I'll give that a go. If you think it will be alright in here until the spring I'll call off the search party (that's the really fun party where I move all my furniture piece by piece...). Do you know how high up they can get, roughly? Should I look in draws or is that unlikely? I'm a bit worried it's moved into the wall. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback, I am feeling much better about it now anyway!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i havent seen a slow worm in years lol takes me back to when i was a kid. i did catch one when i was like 6 and i put in a bucket and fed it some grass. unfortunatley it did die quite quick.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
are you certain that someone who lived there before didnt lose a pet snake in the flat ?
My friend's Colombian rainbow boa got out and was lost for about 6 months before it turned up one day :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eeek! don't say that! But I've been here over two years, and my gran lived here before me, so its unlikely. Although... gran can be a bit of a dark horse at times...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts