Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new bearded dragon, and I also want to give him everything he needs.

I don't even know how old he is! He has a space that is 1' between his eyes, and is probably 8' long.

I have been feeding him crix, and don't like that he slams against the glass when trying to catch them sometimes. He has a cute little nose, and I don't want him to get hurt.

I just want to see him grow! I give him calcium with D3, and he has a UVB light. Not to mention the day/night light, 100 wat.
I just ordered butterworms, and he loves them.. but he isn't eating as much as everyone says he would..
I gave him about 10 worms, and he only ate 4..
He doesn't eat his greens- at all.
What do I do?

:(

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
You could start by explaining your setup a bit more; things like temperatures (basking, hot and cold areas), what kind of UVB do you have (brand, percentage), his usual diet, how long you've had him etc.

If he's been moved recently it can take a while for them to settle in and get their appetite back. Some dragons take a while to get onto veg, try adding some mealies or butterworms into the veg bowl, might stimulate him into eating some.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You could start by explaining your setup a bit more; things like temperatures (basking, hot and cold areas), what kind of UVB do you have (brand, percentage), his usual diet, how long you've had him etc.

If he's been moved recently it can take a while for them to settle in and get their appetite back. Some dragons take a while to get onto veg, try adding some mealies or butterworms into the veg bowl, might stimulate him into eating some.

yep i agree with vgorst, you could also try him on calci worms, you dont have to dust them they have all the calcium and phosphate he woil need and they are soft bodied, so wouldnt have to thrash about when eating them, as for the greens as said above,i put mealworm in with his greens when hi wasnt eating it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I have had him for about 2 weeks, now.
I have a 20 gallon. I have read it's better to start off small. I have a light/day lights. (100 wat)

I have a zilla UVB light. With a 50 UVB buld. I made sure to stay away from coil bulbs.

At night, he stays at about 80 degrees, and during the day probably about 100 degrees, since he is smaller. I'll get smaller bulbs once he is bigger. I am not quit sure the temp of the cool side. I only have one thermometer right now.

He seems happy. Very alert, and loves basking.. just the eating part.

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Ah you're from US then?

Could you find out the measurements of the tank? (Mostly length and width), sorry but I can't do gallons! You say that it's small, baby beardies are fine starting off in their full adult tank (4ft x 2ft). The space is needed in order for them to thermoregulate properly, you won't be able to get the proper thermogradient in a smaller tank. Remember the cool end is as important as the hot end, without a cool end they can easily dehydrate or over-heat.

Again, not familiar with Zilla. But tube is good :)

How long have you had him? As long as he's eating something I wouldn't be too worried. Could be that he's still settling in.

Just re-read your first post:
I don't even know how old he is! He has a space that is 1' between his eyes, and is probably 8' long.
1. It's difficult for people to tell age on size - they can grow at so many different rates. Personally I am rubbish at judging age by size anyway, so I'm useless here :)
2. 8' - means 8ft, you've got a pretty massive beardy ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah you're from US then?

Could you find out the measurements of the tank? (Mostly length and width), sorry but I can't do gallons! You say that it's small, baby beardies are fine starting off in their full adult tank (4ft x 2ft). The space is needed in order for them to thermoregulate properly, you won't be able to get the proper thermogradient in a smaller tank. Remember the cool end is as important as the hot end, without a cool end they can easily dehydrate or over-heat.

Again, not familiar with Zilla. But tube is good :)

How long have you had him? As long as he's eating something I wouldn't be too worried. Could be that he's still settling in.

Just re-read your first post:

1. It's difficult for people to tell age on size - they can grow at so many different rates. Personally I am rubbish at judging age by size anyway, so I'm useless here :)
2. 8' - means 8ft, you've got a pretty massive beardy ;)
:gasp::blush:
Haha, sorry. That would be pretty massive... 8"* :whistling2:

I actually just measured him, and he is 10". I just held him, and he is at a good weight.

I'm probably just freaking out because I love him so much, haha.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
20 gallon is approx a 2ft --- 2ft 6 at a push, depends on depth. tank on fish tank standards. So its about half the size it needs to be.

You then have a 100W bulb in there? which will be making it VERY hot if not set up right. I use 60W in my 70Gl/ 4ft vivs.

You really need to get us some pics up and those temperatures if you can so we can see what is going on and if you need to tweek.

Small viv is a myth on beardies. Day old hatchlings are fine in their adult size viv, you just need to watch they can catch their food.

the viv size if for the thermal gradient. So you want around a 70gallon tank just to get his temps right.

As you've also only had him 2 weeks, be careful not to fuss over him too much. They get stressed from little things. Moving things in his viv at the moment is an absolute no, as is handling for more than a couple of minutes and only if he comes to you. don't push him into it.

You're setup needs checking over. Tell us as much as you possibly can about it if you can't post pics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not to sure what the drama is here? If your beardie is as young as I think s/he is, then greens isn't high on the menu, that's more for adults, youngsters go for live food mostly, still provide it they'll have a munch but they wont like it to much (Darn kids not eating their greens!). You've had them 2 weeks? They're still settling in, limit hand contact and try not to stare, allow your beardie time to settle find their surroundings, you'll know when they're fully settled when they eat like a pig. This being said sometimes theyre not just greedy, my first beardie was a picky eater and food had always been an issue. Personally I would steer away from worms as a staple they can become addictive and a beardie who knows if they refuse one food get given something else, guess what they'll do? Feed as many crickets/locusts your beardie wants and just give them a bowl of salad for throughout the day until you go to feed them again, I dust my live food with calcium.

20 gallons is about 2 ft (I think? Not great at conversions), so when your beardies older, he's gonna need a bigger tank (40 gallons) but for the time being it's all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts