Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have set my 4 x 2 x 2 viv up and i just want to ask about the basking spot under the bulb.
how close should the basking area be to the bulb or how far away.

i have a log and could put into under the spot lamp but that would mean they would only be about just over 6 inches away from the spot bulb if they sat at the very top.

is it better to have the basking area at a lower level or is it okay if its higher like on big branch. how close is safe, i know id have to put the probes from the stat and thermometer at the spot they'd be sitting in to bask.

just need a little help, thanks

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
close enough for the right heat and far enough away that they can't get to it.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
it doesn't really matter as long as its the correct temperature and the BD cant touch the bulb.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i have set my 4 x 2 x 2 viv up and i just want to ask about the basking spot under the bulb.
how close should the basking area be to the bulb or how far away.

i have a log and could put into under the spot lamp but that would mean they would only be about just over 6 inches away from the spot bulb if they sat at the very top.

is it better to have the basking area at a lower level or is it okay if its higher like on big branch. how close is safe, i know id have to put the probes from the stat and thermometer at the spot they'd be sitting in to bask.

just need a little help, thanks
if the logs highest point is directly under the bulb..maybe think about leaning it against the wall...assuming the bulb isnt right against the wall then the highest point shouldnt be directly under it...either way 6 inches is maybe a little close but as already said its gettin the corect temp and being safe

But no.. you wouldnt put the probe under the light, you would put the probe in the cool end of the viv to control that that doesnt get too hot.
the bask temp will be decided by the bulb wattage and distance.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Mine can get quite close to the bulbs if they want. They have the option of being close or far away. Up to them how hot they want to bask at!
Just make sure they cant touch the bulb and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
id say 6 to 8in and as long as they cant get to the bulb, if they get to hot they will gape and eventually move.

the main priority is that the BD canget to optimal temp when he/she wants to dont forget abit of shade too

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
6in should be fine i've never seen mine try to touch there bulbs
linda

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Shouldnt the bulb be guarded anyway? I have a kamikazee beardie and dread to think what could happen if it wasn't

1 - 11 of 11 Posts