Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours of long conversation ( ie begging) with my g/f I'm finally getting a Red Tegu!

Going home tonight to build a new viv (6x2x2 for starters) and to start getting everything ready. All being well it should be here by Wednesday.

As always there is conflicting advice online! I have the basic care down but want to build a decent setup from day one ( makes life so much easier in the long run)

Temps I've found range from high 70 to low 80's on one site to 120 degree basking temp on another site!

I have them in shop at the mo. I have temps at 110 degrees basking to 84 degrees general temp. And the tegus seen to THRIVE at that!

They seem to love to dig ( again one site suggests newspaper substrate another beechwood). From my own observations they love to dig so was going to do the same as my iggie..... base substrate of peat with a topping of orchid bark ( this is great for the humidity).

Planting for the tegu seems pointless! It will just destroy the plants in minutes.

10% or 5% UV ( again I would have erred on the side of caution and gone for 10% but wanted to see if other long term keepers had advice)

Tey love the water so a decent pool in there too!

Any other advice would be appreciate

Andy

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lucky bugger

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Lugger bugger.

id go for a bask that ranges from 120 downwards and dropping to 80 cool end, lower would always be ok.

your choice of substrate sounds right ot me also.

and deffo a 10% bulb, like a 4 footer i guess if its idealy located.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Congrats!!! They are fantastic little buggers!!!

I havent owned one I only looked after him for a week until his daddy picked him up.....

Things I learnt!

1) the hurt when they tail whip
2) they hurt when they bite
lol

Nah seriously as you already know they are messy buggers!!! I loved watching him eat! just chomps everything up!!

No matter what you put on the floor of the viv it will end up in a big pile at the end! The water bowl will be ruined within an hour lol.

They really are so cute and if i had the room I would jump at the chance of owning one!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice one :D Tegus are so awesome - I have 2 now! Your cage setups sound good so far; couple it with the shops temps, which are ideal. They do love plants and things though (both of mine use them to make burrows), so chuck in as many fake plants and bits of cork bark etc that you can - they will not got to waste! (although, like real plants, they will eventually be destroyed)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
we have an adult male in work, he's a beast, but incredibly sweet. we spoil him. a girl in work brings him in eggs and snails, and we all hand feed him

I LOVE feeding him fruit with tongs (dont want my fingers accidentally chomped), he's ridiculously gentle for such a monster. he very gently takes the strawberries from the tongs and sits there contentedly munching. he's adorable.

We did have another male red, but he went to go live in another shop, in a huge display tank. he was a nasty swine though, used to scare the shit out of me! :shock:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
i have a black and white tegu and in my eyes they are the ultimate lizard i cant beleive how tame mine is he has never once tryed to bite me or whip they have a really good fedding respose so dont hand feed them youll end up getting a bite they love there fruit mine likes pineapple and red grapes they do need uv so your doing the right thing putting a uv bulb in the viv they allso love to dig so if you use wood chip make sure you check his food bowl alot as he will throw chips in there and could eat them
how big is he if hes three foot chances are it will be a female as there is no big jowls in the pic males look like they have dropy cheaks like an english bulldog
you will really enjoy your tegu come and check out www.tegu.com its a forum just for tegus and they have a live chat where everyone is very freindly and helpfull :wink:

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
what a fantastic lookin monster! didnt know half of these existed until i came on here and looked them up,youre very lucky to have the space and pressumably an understanding partner........my husband puts up with the leo.....just!! am considering getting him a girlfriend tho........the leo not the husband altho maybe then he wouldnt notice if i moved more reps in :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts