Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, when I went to clean out my beardies, i found 18 eggs! :)

It's so bizarre, because neither of my beardies are a year old yet. i got them both in may, and they were only a few weeks then. They are both big for their age, and fat as hell. They've been displaying mating body language recently, but didnt think they'd be able to mate sucessfully

But yeah, 18 eggs! one was broken, and the male ate one when i uncovered them, but I've now got 16 incubating in the shop :) They looked very wrinkly and strange, and didnt think they'd be any good, but my boss, who's been breeding for years assures me they are fertile and most will hatch :)

I didnt think the female was gravid because she was as fat as she's always been. she'd been digging a lot, but shes always been a digger. I checked her stomach and couldnt feel anything either!
She's really lucky too, because i've been cutting down their food amount recently because of how fat they've been getting, so she hadnt been getting as much extra feeding and supplementing as I would have given. She's really skinny now, so I'm feeding her up.

so yay! I'm so pleased! Its my first ever eggs, and i didnt even attempt breeding :) hurrah!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
congratulations :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
so yay! I'm so pleased! Its my first ever eggs, and i didnt even attempt breeding :) hurrah!
Some of us spend years attempting to get certain species to breed, our caiman took 14 years to get there.

Always good when someone is not expecting anything, well done on the sucess.

Make sure you get some good weight back on the female as she will go again soon.

Regards and well done.

Jerry Cole

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys :)

i was expecting them to breed in maybe a year or so, so certainly didnt expect it to have been so soon!

I'm feeding her up now, giving her some pinkies, and tonnes of waxworms. she's looking really grumpy now bless her. i'm gonna spoil her rotten now :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like congrats is in order,where you gonna house all these little uns,looks like you got a zoo already lol well done
I've got a 6 stack of vivariums and the bottom 2 are empty. At the moment, this clutch of eggs will be half mine. Because i was totally unprepared for the eggs, i rushed them down to the shop, so they can incubate them there. The deal we do at the shop, is we'll incubate any eggs that customers have, and we'll take 50% of the hatchlings. I think thats pretty fair, lots of people bring their eggs in, and we get some hatchlings out of it. So if all of the eggs hatch, I'll get 8, so shouldnt be too much hassle. Its when any future clutches start getting laid - I'll be incubating them myself - that i'll need to start worrying where to put them all lol!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Cool:) What a nice surprise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts