Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

worried that my beardie is a rankin dragon i have "two" beardies one 15 weeks one 13 weeks however there is significant size differences between the two one seems to be a normal leather back and the other a sand fire morph..... the morph is the potential rankin and has recently been subject to bullying from the larger of the two ......
does anyone know any obvious differences between the two so i could possibly work out if it is a bearded dragon or a rankin .....if you require pictures i would be more than happy to email them over

many thanks

mark

·
Registered
607 Posts
Bullying?

im assuming you have them housed together?

It could be quite likley the bullying has been going on for a while and the smaller has not been able to get enough food.

Split them up is the first piece of advice then feed him up as much as he wants to get him back on track.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bigger one will seem to bite the smaller ones leg but this happens rarely in terms of splitting them up if i do this will they not fight again if i put them back together
there still very young so could it possibly be a juvenile young testosterone stage and a claim for dominance of the viv

·
Registered
558 Posts
Long term co-habiting beardies in captivity is rarely successfully done, not saying it isn't or can't be done just not recommended and by the sounds of things you can see why. Seperating them sounds like its a must if there are already signs of aggression.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Really beardies should not be housed otgether other than for breeding and even then they only come together for breeding and then separated again, the split would need to be permanant as you have stated bullying is happening

If they are both male the likelyhood is that they could/will fight to the death - there was a recent thread where someone had re-homed a pair of males they were in very bad shape, bits bitten off etc

If you have 1 male one female the female will be hassled to mate constantly. this is no life for her as you can imagine.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Ok lets cut to the chase.

You must separate them and keep them in separate vivs.
If agression has started at such a young age it will get worse until one of the dragons is dead.
It saddens me that shops and breeders allow people to buy two or more dragons for the same viv when they surely know the consequences.

Even in my shop you will only see single dragons in any of my vivs.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Ok lets cut to the chase.

You must separate them and keep them in separate vivs.
If agression has started at such a young age it will get worse until one of the dragons is dead.
It saddens me that shops and breeders allow people to buy two or more dragons for the same viv when they surely know the consequences.

Even in my shop you will only see single dragons in any of my vivs.
This.

and there is no way you have a rankins if it's a morph as far as I know there isn't currently any in morphs bred in rankins.
The size difference will probably be down to being bullied and not receiving the same amount of food, meaning less growth

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
This.

and there is no way you have a rankins if it's a morph as far as I know there isn't currently any in morphs bred in rankins.
The size difference will probably be down to being bullied and not receiving the same amount of food, meaning less growth

I think I read somewhere recently that someone had bred a yellow morph rankins. I very much doubt however that thats the case here as they would very doubtfully be available in a pet shop and the price tag if they were would be at least double the price of a high end morph dragon.

That was just a note btw not a dig. : victory:

Agree with the others, split them asap. It could be that the smaller of the two isn't growing as s/he is getting bullied off the food. If you can't get another setup sorted then I'd advise putting it up for adoption in the rehoming pages for an experienced dragon keeper. There is a possibility its not been fed / kept right as a hatchling before you got it and may have long term needs that aren't visible yet. ie MDB if it wasn't kept with the right UV etc.

The sooner you split them up the better.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I think I read somewhere recently that someone had bred a yellow morph rankins. I very much doubt however that thats the case here as they would very doubtfully be available in a pet shop and the price tag if they were would be at least double the price of a high end morph dragon.

That was just a note btw not a dig. : victory:

Agree with the others, split them asap. It could be that the smaller of the two isn't growing as s/he is getting bullied off the food. If you can't get another setup sorted then I'd advise putting it up for adoption in the rehoming pages for an experienced dragon keeper. There is a possibility its not been fed / kept right as a hatchling before you got it and may have long term needs that aren't visible yet. ie MDB if it wasn't kept with the right UV etc.

The sooner you split them up the better.
learn something new everyday :lol2:
It's almost impossible to keep up with the morph side of the hobby :whistling2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi thanks for the messages think your all properly right i re homed them myself fom gumtree so took a gamble i suppose one seems to be sleeping in the corner of the tank ......however i just noticed that the smaller one is sleeping on the larger one surely this is a sticky situation......

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
hi thanks for the messages think your all properly right i re homed them myself fom gumtree so took a gamble i suppose one seems to be sleeping in the corner of the tank ......however i just noticed that the smaller one is sleeping on the larger one surely this is a sticky situation......
It is but it also has a simple solution. Just split them up and they both should do fine : )

·
Registered
81 Posts
We had a male and female in together, both were young, they are doing much better seperated.

Also, i see its mentioned about someone on here taking in a dragon recently that was in a bad way and had been in with another male, I'm not sure if it was ours the person who mentioned it was thinking of but we were 'offered' a 'female' who'd been put in with a male to breed and they had a fight, when Martha arrived she was indeed an Arthur (he is Sam now), he's lost his whole tail, poor fella!.... thankfully he;s all healed and happy in his new viv (the one he'd been house in was awful, had holes, an energy saving bulb... he was exhausted, cold and almost dead.... now he;s fighting fit!

·
Registered
607 Posts
We had a male and female in together, both were young, they are doing much better seperated.

Also, i see its mentioned about someone on here taking in a dragon recently that was in a bad way and had been in with another male, I'm not sure if it was ours the person who mentioned it was thinking of but we were 'offered' a 'female' who'd been put in with a male to breed and they had a fight, when Martha arrived she was indeed an Arthur (he is Sam now), he's lost his whole tail, poor fella!.... thankfully he;s all healed and happy in his new viv (the one he'd been house in was awful, had holes, an energy saving bulb... he was exhausted, cold and almost dead.... now he;s fighting fit!
Ah ha you were the person i was thinking of.. couldnt find the post to confirm 2x males but was sure it was 2 males.. would appear i was wrong but goes to show any 2 beardies could fight:blush:

·
Registered
645 Posts
hi all

worried that my beardie is a rankin dragon i have "two" beardies one 15 weeks one 13 weeks however there is significant size differences between the two one seems to be a normal leather back and the other a sand fire morph..... the morph is the potential rankin and has recently been subject to bullying from the larger of the two ......
does anyone know any obvious differences between the two so i could possibly work out if it is a bearded dragon or a rankin .....if you require pictures i would be more than happy to email them over

many thanks

mark
Hi Mark,

I would say it is more than likely down to bullying and advise you to seperate them. Even if bullying ISNT present a heirachy will, meaning top dog gets the best basking spot, most ideal resting spot, and first dibs on food. This is what causes these huge growth differences and domination is even present when its females only. Males are naturally dominant although there have been several cases where the female takes charge (mainly because the male is a coward, or much smaller). Seperate them and then monitor the growth. Give it 6 months and if he/she doesnt seem to grow at all then it's a rankins.

However, it may not be either. It could quite possibly be a Vittkins which is Rankins X Beardy. They are a good medium between the two types.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's okay to have Bearded Dragons from hatchling to about 3/4 months of age caged together but once either 1 or the other reaches 9"-11" it's time to separate. They'll start fighting for space (mainly), food and if you have 2 males they'll fight for territory. It's best to have them caged separately

1 - 15 of 15 Posts