Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2 female leos havent eaen in a while. i have held food under their noses, and they have walked away. my male has no problem. the gals are losing weight, and to say im worried is an understatement!! i keep them on calcisand, and they had no problems for the first 12 months, so i thought the substrate was OK. the temperatures are at the top end, as they are ALWAYS under the heatlamp. the humidity is alright, and i have no idea what is wrong with them. also, last year they mated and layed eggs. the eggs appeared fertile, but in the last half of incubation they went mouldy. they are also a bit lethargic. i have tried everything, but cannot find the solution. is it impaction??? should i change their setup?? please help me!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi there,

First of all it could be a number of factors. If temps seem fine are they nearing shedding or do they look gravid at all?

I would definatly suggest you take them for an xray at the vets to make sure they are not impacted. The worry with calci sand is that leo's can eat it because they search for calcium in their diet if they are lacking it. i do not use calci sand at all for this reason even though I havn't had any big problems with it in the past other that slight eating by me male.

How long have they not eaten for? They need to start eating before they lose too much weight.

TO make sure they do not becoming dehydrated I would try mixing critical care or avipro plus with mushed up waxies with added calcium and vits. The critical care will get their appetites going while other stuff will hydrate them.

They could just be being fussy though!! :D

Whats the diet you feed them by the way and how often?

Han

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
id get the calci sand out of there personally.Dont forget though the winter slow down means that your leos will eat less.The can go about a week without losing weight.My male is on strike too but i gave him a waxie and he gulped it down so i know hes just being stuben.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leo

they havent eaten for about a month now, and i try them every 2/3 days. what substrate do you reccomend i use?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Personally I'd use kitchen towel temporarily and take all the fecal samples you can get. Have they been wormed? Your safest bet considering they're kept on calci-sand is to take them for an x-ray, just to set your own mind at rest even if it is not impaction it might give you some idea as to whether there is a problem internally, take the fecals from the male with you if you cant get any from the females, if they have worms the chances are that he does too.

Hope it all goes well for you
Kelly

·
Registered
516 Posts
I totally agree with last post. The fact that they havn't eaten in a month is quite worrying!

They need to have tests to eliminate things that cuold be wrong with them.

Get them on kitchen towel where you can monitor faeces better and make sure things don't get worse!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank for the advice! ill take fecal samples 2 the vet.

THANK YOU!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts