Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone on here able to recommend reputable import agents who would be able to handle all the paperwork etc on animals coming in from america?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Bob Clark? Very good, he is.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he's on the american side i have an exporter all sorted just someone to handle the UK paperwork and import permits and cities etc.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
he's on the american side i have an exporter all sorted just someone to handle the UK paperwork and import permits and cities etc.
Depends on the airport you are importing into. Most have Brokers that operate at that airport. In the past I have imported through Heathrow and the broker had an office on site. I can PM you his details, he was brilliant, really took the stress out of the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got a list of them there now and sent off an email to every one, whichever one will cover the most paperwork and leave me with the least work to do will get my business lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
its alot cheaper if you sort most of the stuff yourself and hand the agent everthing completed, then they just take paperwork and clear customs

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its alot cheaper if you sort most of the stuff yourself and hand the agent everthing completed, then they just take paperwork and clear customs
it's a lot easier to let the agent do everything though, especially living in ireland it's a lot easier have a uk agent sort everything that way i can just drive over collect my snakes, and not have to worry about anything going wrong.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
it's a lot easier to let the agent do everything though, especially living in ireland it's a lot easier have a uk agent sort everything that way i can just drive over collect my snakes, and not have to worry about anything going wrong.

don't forget your import tax that will be added to the cost of this!! last I can remember its near 20% of the value of said import!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'd like to see motorhead come up with a "cunning plan" for the tax.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I'd like to see motorhead come up with a "cunning plan" for the tax.
pay it is the only way! needs to be paid on the day you pick up said animals or you go home with out them!! alas can't avoid the tax on this sort of thing!!
the value of the animals will be on the import and export papers so the tax man will know just how much money you will need to bring!! say its $12.000 worth of royals for a example which is about £8000 so your tax bill will be about £1600. you also pay your export for his/her time to export the animals your import broker and the seller of the animals. you may also need vet checks but not always. this things add up very quickly and if the animals are not just for you you also have the hassle of getting paid by the buyers of the animals that your bringing in to off set your own costs for the animals you want.
you can avoid alot of this by picking up animals at shows if you can get a breeder to get them there! some breeders send animals to shows which have been paid for before hand as will know other breeders that do these shows in hamm and houten!!
you don't need to worry about any of this if you have buckets of cash!!

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
u only pay vat if ur vat reg i.e turn over is over 80k
any tax payable is paid to the tax man before the snakes/reptiles or other has left the airport. the value of the tax paid will be on both import and export papers and I am sure it no more than 20% of total value of the animals that are imported.
as for vat at a later stage that's what a good accountant is for!!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
any tax payable is paid to the tax man before the snakes/reptiles or other has left the airport. the value of the tax paid will be on both import and export papers and I am sure it no more than 20% of total value of the animals that are imported.
as for vat at a later stage that's what a good accountant is for!!
sorry i meant if you were to sell, you only need to add vat if ur business turns over 80k

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
sorry i meant if you were to sell, you only need to add vat if ur business turns over 80k

most people who try these sort of imports add other animals to import of animals to off set there own cost some what. not sure of UK vat rules to be honest but the import tax works just like vat as it a % of the imports value. if doing this to run a business I am sure the owner of the business and his/her accountant can keep future costs to themselves at a minimum.
also being vat reg would mean that anything you buy in would be vat free or in other words you could taker the vat cost off your yearly tax bill. hence the need for a good accountant

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
most people who try these sort of imports add other animals to import of animals to off set there own cost some what. not sure of UK vat rules to be honest but the import tax works just like vat as it a % of the imports value. if doing this to run a business I am sure the owner of the business and his/her accountant can keep future costs to themselves at a minimum.
also being vat reg would mean that anything you buy in would be vat free or in other words you could taker the vat cost off your yearly tax bill. hence the need for a good accountant
correct, but if a person is doing it as a bit on the side, then yes they will need to pay vat on the import but they wont have to charge vat on the sale

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
correct, but if a person is doing it as a bit on the side, then yes they will need to pay vat on the import but they wont have to charge vat on the sale
if a person is just doing this for themselfs he/her has paid his/her tax on import, the import tax is just like a vat tax. they will only need to pay vat if running a business not if selling to a mate as some of his/her mate will have paid his % of tax at the time of the import!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts