Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any imports from ghana coming in anytime soon?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
there is a constant stream of snakes from ghana at this time of the year.

It may help if you say what you're after?

I can only presume CF royals, in which case check the many, many adverts around for Cf royals at this time of year. check reptilekeeper/classifieds/web etc

Or is it something else?

·
Registered
25,686 Posts
Into the UK as a whole? They come in every week or two at the moment!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh it was cf royals i was after would like to speak straight to the farm itself an import about 50-100 or so depending on the price

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I think you need to look into this much more before doing anyhting.

you don't need to talk directly to the farm, and to be honest wiht an order of 50-100 they wouldn't speak to you. By the time you've paid to have them brought over they won't be cheap anymore. you need to speak to wholesalers or traders ie the people that order from the farms.

for 50-100 CF royals by the time you've spend on importing them, vets fees, tax etc they will no longer be cheap. CF royals are ordered from the farms in their thousands, they are then sold in smaller job lots (ie 50-500) ONCE in the UK.

You need to do a little more research and be clear on exactly whats involved, if you'd done so you'd know it's simply not worth bringing 100CF royals over from africa.

Do you keep royals? have you ever kept royals before? Have you any experience getting royals to feed straight out of the egg/off a plane?

If the answer to ANY of those questions is "no" then don't bother with CF royals just yet.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can i get exspierence with none feeding royals ive kept them in the past but not for long periods so how could you get exspirience with a non feeding snake~?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
[.

You need to do a little more research and be clear on exactly whats involved, if you'd done so you'd know it's simply not worth bringing 100CF royals over from africa.

Do you keep royals? have you ever kept royals before? Have you any experience getting royals to feed straight out of the egg/off a plane?

If the answer to ANY of those questions is "no" then don't bother with CF royals just yet.[/quote]
Agreed! Those "cheap" royals require an awful lot of work before you make any money-beleive me!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
How can i get exspierence with none feeding royals ive kept them in the past but not for long periods so how could you get exspirience with a non feeding snake~?
By keeping and breeding that species, or through pure bad luck (ie repeatedly buying poor feeders etc).

Experience of anything comes with time. Try your hand at keeping and sucessfully breeding royal pythons. this will get your some experience of getting royal pythons started.

Offer to help out in local shops, offer to spend some time helping out/shadowing a local breeder keeper.

Most people I know woudln't say no to a bit of freebie help with things!

If you've never dealt with poor feeding royals then ordering large number of CF royals is the last thing you want to be doing, remember they are 'cheap' for a reason.

I wrote this on another thread recently:

you have to realise that to get them at a good price you'll be looking at a minimum order of 50,100 or 200. you then have to buy the medication to treat worms and flaggelates, frontline them.

then comes the feeding.

Obviouisly some of these snakes (some? All? Many?) will take a while to get eating. It means a LOT of wasteage, obviously any food item you've offered to one of them can NEVER go near the rest of your collection, so it goes in the bin.

Assuming you want them to feed 3-6 times running before you let them go so (assuming you order 100 royals) thats 3-600 food items NOT counting the ones thrown away and any live and prekill you WILL need to get some of them going.

Don't do all of that and you'll end up selling crap quality stuff, which you can obviosuly only do the once

Frontline for 100 = approx £20
meds for 100 = approx 25-60
4-700 mice (or whatever) - approx 200-700 depending on source

Racking, tubs, heating, waterbowls etc etc etc. All of this combined (in a place AWAY from your current snakes) = approx 200-400 (obviously this only needs doing the first time, but it pretty much guarantees you'll make nothing, or even a loss the first time around.

It should be re-iterated that this is NOT a cheap way to get royal pythons.

It's really not something to taske on unless your'e sure of your ability, otherwise it's a very, very fast way to kill 100 royal pythons, you do not get long with animals that have come directly out of the egg, directly onto a plane form africa to the UK then directly to you.

I would say that CF are a no for people who have no experience medicating and treating snakes, assist, force and LIVE feeding. Then of course this all assumes that you have racking and food, equipment, tubs, stats, heatmats, waterbowls (etc) lying around to house 100 royals.

These royals are here, in this country NOW with a pretty muhc continuous suply coming over for weeks, you won't have 2 months to get your racking etc prepared. You'd make a phonecall, get a price on the qunatity you want then you'd be driving over wiht the money to pay and collect. So unless you have everything ready now there's no point even looking into it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot for the advice i wanted to speak to breeder etc to see how much the cf royals would be at the time of the year and then work out vet etc from there

Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts