Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm relatively new to the hobby but I'm thinking about possibly starting some hobby breeding projects with Gargs sometime in the future -not the near future mind you as I'm not even getting my gargs until christmas haha) possibly even some corns/leos as well but i need to learn more about their genetics first to be any good haha

I've done my research and I know I'll need plenty of room and a good food supply etc as well as the knowledge and this is why it's an ongoing research project for the time being as it were. I'll be doing a placement soon at a reputable reptile store in my area where I plan to get alot more knowledge on the subject.

But! for the question at hand.

Can anyone suggest to me some deccent incubators at deccent prices?
I'm not talking pennies but cheap good quality incubators that are good enough for a starter, probably not many clutches to start so it doesn't need to be massive (enough for 30 or so eggs I imagine) I've been looking at the 'mini-fridge' style ones but I also hear that they're not so good at holding or maintaining humidity and that the temps differ inside he actual unit itself?

If anyone has firsthand experience or can link me to some reviews that'd be great :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you thought about making your own from a polly box and heat source with stat. It costs a lot less and people get the same results. If you go to a local aquatics (some) will give you the polly box for free. Have a look at the top of the breeding section and there's a guide on how to make one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can second the suggestion from Leomad1. I currently use a polybox (originally used for tropical fish transport) with a low wattage heat mat connected to one of the cheaper Habistat thermostats. I also have a digital thermometer with probe set into the lid (bought from eBay for less than a fiver) which tells me exactly the temperature inside the box.
DO NOT stand the eggs directly on the heat mat, though. Make sure you put some sort of wire shelving inside. Don't be tempted to use a high wattage heat mat; use the lowest you can get and place it in the bottom of the box.
Control the humidity inside each box as suggested in the literature available in books and internet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts