Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
preferably from an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing please as am short of time.

Ok , I have a Vivtronic incubator which I have used for a few years without a problem. It wasn't used last year but was stored in the house. Switched it on yesterday but nothing happened so I changed the ceramic bulb. Pulse stat lit up so I thought I had cracked it and left it overnight to get up to temp. This morning shelf where I put my egg box is reading 80F (sorry only work in old money lol)and stat (habistat pulse stat) is set to 88F ish SO I took the temp of the ceramic bulb directly with a digital temp gun and it read 83F.

My question is could this ceramic be going too ( I thought they just blew like light bulbs or is it more likely to be the stat itself? The stat and its plugs are well and truely glued into the incubator and although I do have a spare stat it looks a pain in the backside to get it off.

Royal eggs were laid yesterday and mum is tightly wrapped around them but I would prefer them in the incubator asap and I have to go to work soon.

Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
preferably from an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing please as am short of time.

Ok , I have a Vivtronic incubator which I have used for a few years without a problem. It wasn't used last year but was stored in the house. Switched it on yesterday but nothing happened so I changed the ceramic bulb. Pulse stat lit up so I thought I had cracked it and left it overnight to get up to temp. This morning shelf where I put my egg box is reading 80F (sorry only work in old money lol)and stat (habistat pulse stat) is set to 88F ish SO I took the temp of the ceramic bulb directly with a digital temp gun and it read 83F.

My question is could this ceramic be going too ( I thought they just blew like light bulbs or is it more likely to be the stat itself? The stat and its plugs are well and truely glued into the incubator and although I do have a spare stat it looks a pain in the backside to get it off.

Royal eggs were laid yesterday and mum is tightly wrapped around them but I would prefer them in the incubator asap and I have to go to work soon.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Try just moving the stat probe away from the heat source a bit if you want it hotter :) as it hasn't been used in a while it might need a bit of time to burn back in. Ceramics do blow like light bulbs as far as I remember!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
preferably from an electrician
Try just moving the stat probe away from the heat source a bit if you want it hotter :) as it hasn't been used in a while it might need a bit of time to burn back in. Ceramics do blow like light bulbs as far as I remember!
Nix, you're an electrician! :gasp:

Yeah, what Nix has said is correct! Move the stat away, and the temps should increase!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the room the incubator in is less than 70f or above 80f it can effect the performance of the stat. The stats optimum working conditions are to operate at average room temps.

I think you just need to put a thermometer in the egg box and adjust accordingly. My pulse stat is set at 84f yet in my viv the temp is 87f.

On a pulse stat if the lights on the ceramic should be working, if it doesn't come on even when turned up to the max it is probably dead. Of course if you're running more than one ceramic on it, this isn't an accurate guide.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok I understand how a stat works. The room (my bedroom) is warm 75F. The stat is now on absolutely full and no change in temp. Incubator is like a viv with sliding glass doors and easily achieves high nineties temps if I wanted it to. Stat is only running this incubator. Probe is directly under egg box which where I always take temps and is well away from heat source, been doing this a looong time now so know what I'm doing re incubating eggs.

Could the stat have a fault causing it to be stuck at a lower temp I guess is what I am getting at?
Just checked gargage and don't have a spare stat arrrrrgh! I do have another incubator but it is set for and has in it, corn eggs.

Underneath egg box is reading 80F and can't turn stat up anymore it is on max. Usually if I take temp of ceramic surface itself it is well over 100F

1 - 5 of 5 Posts